How do you choose microphones?

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Re: How do you choose microphones?

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:05 am

I'm a bit more of a risk taker when purchasing than some. Once I've got my bases covered, when I'm looking for different colours, I'm not afraid to take a chance with a brand I like, on a model that's getting decent reviews and reads like something I'd like for some things. That being said, if I can try something out first, I will, but many times it's not in the cards in this berg.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:10 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
macrae11 wrote:Word of mouth and brand familiarity....
Availability is another one.
Other than that, I will try literally anything I can get my hands on.
I'm with you there.

In this day of 1001 brands, what do you find yourself sticking close to? Everyone knows I'm a Shure fan, both stage and studio. I also am loving most RODE and AT mics I'm coming across these days. There's so many condenser choices these days it's hard to keep track of them all. AKG was something I favoured when I was starting out, but now they've really falling down. Things like the 414 lines still do it for me, but I've tried so much of their newer crap, it's really turned me off.

I'm not really finding I'm sticking close to anything in particular. Just to give you an example, my mic locker in Fredericton consists of Neumann, AKG, Shure, Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Lectrosonics and Audio-Technica. If you add in other mics that I use regularly, or at least have really liked in the recent past the list includes, Lawson, Rode, Sigma, Gefell, Blue, Electro-Voice, Josephson, Manley, Schoeps, sE and I'm sure a few more that I'm missing.

I've actually fallen out of love a bit with a lot of the Rode mics because I find most of them have a noticeable sizzle in the highs/high mids that I don't really care for.

So while I guess I've got my set of go-to mics that I use daily, when it comes to purchasing anything and everything is game.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:12 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Like Andrew said, you really have to gauge your budget with what you really need and will use to make your money.

He sounds like me, but then again he's probably where I got it from. Well him and the fact that since we stopped putting our own personaly money into this place last year We have to be much more strategic with our choices. We can only buy things when we make money using the things we already have. So we have to plan accordingly. Right now Pro Tools HD, 24 AD/DA and a half-normalled patchbay are a priority. A few mics will be next on that list. We plan on accomplishing all of these by the fall mind you, but those are our priorities now

Malcolm Boyce wrote:When I see people in our market with several pairs of $3-5000.00 mics in this age, I really wonder how they are justifying that other than bragging.

Really? Do tell...

I know we couldn't justify if right now, and we've been non-stop since last summer. Then again we have some really expensive outboard stuff so who are we to talk. In all fairness though a lot of the major purchases were made when Alain was still pouring his own equity into the business and he hasn't done that in years. Right now if the studio doesn't make the money we can't spend the money.

It's funny if this was still a "hobby" I could justify all kinds of crazy purchases, but when it's a real "business" you tend to be more careful.

Malcolm Boyce wrote:That being said, if I can try something out first, I will, but many times it's not in the cards in this berg.

Come for a mic shootout with us some time. We can usually get a bunch of stuff loaned to us for those kind of things. Shootouts are best done in groups because then you have more resources to draw from. There is strength in numbers.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:16 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:I'm a bit more of a risk taker when purchasing than some. Once I've got my bases covered, when I'm looking for different colours, I'm not afraid to take a chance with a brand I like, on a model that's getting decent reviews and reads like something I'd like for some things. That being said, if I can try something out first, I will, but many times it's not in the cards in this berg.

I think trying before you buy is not always as hard as it seems. I realize that local retailers, don't always have the stock or the desire to bring in rare species of mics but in this day and age there are so many more options. One method I've used in the past is Studio Economik in Montreal. An absolutely fantastic pro audio shop that carries just about anything you could want. They ship anything reasonable, and while you do have to pay rental charges, if you're trying to buy, they will deduct the rental charges from the purchase price of whatever you decide to get. So while you do have to be predetermined to get something, you're not really limited in any way with the variables you can try out.

Of course like I already mentioned with cheaper stuff that's not really a major purchase, it's not worth it to have something shipped in, and if it ends up being a total loss it's not a big deal.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:19 am

clinton wrote:I own an SM58 and a Rode NT-3. I chose whichever one is closest most of the time, which is almost always the Rode. It's worked out well so far.
Even with "choices", many times it's a great excuse to try things when grabbing what you have nearby. It keeps the workflow going, and can lead to great discoveries.

There is a thread on another network where it was discussed how you can do a whole day of overdubs with one great, versatile mic being moved around the room. I will many times use something that is already setup, for tracking something else completely unrelated or unplanned. It is almost sacrilege in this day of this mic, with this pre, for this guitar, with this amp.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:25 am

macrae11 wrote:I think trying before you buy is not always as hard as it seems. I realize that local retailers, don't always have the stock or the desire to bring in rare species of mics but in this day and age there are so many more options. One method I've used in the past is Studio Economik in Montreal. An absolutely fantastic pro audio shop that carries just about anything you could want. They ship anything reasonable, and while you do have to pay rental charges, if you're trying to buy, they will deduct the rental charges from the purchase price of whatever you decide to get. So while you do have to be predetermined to get something, you're not really limited in any way with the variables you can try out.

Exactly, plus if you do it in a large enough group then everyone can be responsible form bringing in certain mics and all benefit from the choices made by everyone. The cool thing with that is that you might like a mic that someone else brough it that you wouldn't have normally considered. Or perhaps you don't care for the mic and you walk away with that knowledge now.

Malcolm Boyce wrote:It is almost sacrilege in this day of this mic, with this pre, for this guitar, with this amp.

Haha. I like having an array of pres... But honestly, give me 24 channels of the API 521c, the Daking, or even the Sytek, and I'll record anything you tell me to.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:02 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote: AKG was something I favoured when I was starting out, but now they've really falling down. Things like the 414 lines still do it for me, but I've tried so much of their newer crap, it's really turned me off.

The dreaded Harmon touch!
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:04 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote: When I see people in our market with several pairs of $3-5000.00 mics in this age, I really wonder how they are justifying that other than bragging.

Our market? Care to expand?
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:09 pm

Alain Benoit wrote:
Malcolm Boyce wrote: When I see people in our market with several pairs of $3-5000.00 mics in this age, I really wonder how they are justifying that other than bragging.

Alright asked him... Turns out was exaggerating a bit. He wasn't too far off though. I mean, if I can hear noticeable preamp distortion when I listen to the CD, I really don't care what mic was used.
Last edited by Mathieu Benoit on Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:11 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Even with "choices", many times it's a great excuse to try things when grabbing what you have nearby. It keeps the workflow going, and can lead to great discoveries.

There is a thread on another network where it was discussed how you can do a whole day of overdubs with one great, versatile mic being moved around the room. I will many times use something that is already setup, for tracking something else completely unrelated or unplanned. It is almost sacrilege in this day of this mic, with this pre, for this guitar, with this amp.

I would too with the Lawson, or even with the AT4050 or 4051
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:I'm a bit more of a risk taker when purchasing than some. Once I've got my bases covered, when I'm looking for different colours, I'm not afraid to take a chance with a brand I like, on a model that's getting decent reviews and reads like something I'd like for some things. That being said, if I can try something out first, I will, but many times it's not in the cards in this berg.

Sure you can, ask Andrew about our three dozen SDC shootout a few years back.

...people on a budget cannot afford to experiment with junk. - Al Benoit
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:15 pm

Alain Benoit wrote:I would too with the Lawson, or even with the AT4050 or 4051

I'd record a whole album with just the L251 and the Daking 52270, including drums. Might grab the M88 and API for the kick drum... then again if I play my cards right, maybe not.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:16 pm

macrae11 wrote:
I've actually fallen out of love a bit with a lot of the Rode mics because I find most of them have a noticeable sizzle in the highs/high mids that I don't really care for.

As a brand the only mic of theirs that ever really impressed me was their no longer made Classic, although I have not heard the Classic II. I remember back in 1999 a pro audio shop in Montreal I used to deal with trying to sell me on an NT-1 and NT-2 saying that the NT-2 was just like an 87. This is just before the flood of chinese mics.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:18 pm

Mathieu Benoit wrote:
Alain Benoit wrote:

Alright asked him... Turns out was exaggerating a bit. He wasn't too far off though. I mean, if I can hear noticeable preamp distortion when I listen to the CD, I really don't care what mic was used.

???
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:15 pm

Yes I did have one place in mind when I made that comment. When I see anyone listing gear like that, it smacks of inexperience, a disproportionate budget, and lack of understanding for the market we have in this new age of the "recording business".

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:35 pm

Like I said elsewhere, it's not how much money is spent it's what you've got to show for it. In this market, A TLM103 is as "Neumann" as an M149 for 99% of your potential clients.

When I look at mic kits from Mastertracks or Sonic Temple, it just seems proportionate to the facilities, or "right" to me. Others... Not so much.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:02 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Like I said elsewhere, it's not how much money is spent it's what you've got to show for it. In this market, A TLM103 is as "Neumann" as an M149 for 99% of your potential clients.

When I look at mic kits from Mastertracks or Sonic Temple, it just seems proportionate to the facilities, or "right" to me. Others... Not so much.

I hope that we round out our mic locker by years end. Maybe even look at some of the stuff we have and see if there's anything we can sell. The most expensive microphone we bought was the Lawson, but we needed at least one "all-star" mic... Outreach had their u87, so did most places around here, we wanted to go for something without necessarily going in the same direction as everyone else. Although we'll probably own a pair of u87s at some point.

I will say this, I feel that our gear list is proportional to the studio in its entirety and that our studio is proportionate to our projects. So I don't feel bad about a $5000 stereo compressor or a $2500 mic.
Last edited by Mathieu Benoit on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:02 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Like I said elsewhere, it's not how much money is spent it's what you've got to show for it. In this market, A TLM103 is as "Neumann" as an M149 for 99% of your potential clients.

Word.

Malcolm Boyce wrote:When I look at mic kits from Mastertracks or Sonic Temple, it just seems proportionate to the facilities, or "right" to me. Others... Not so much.

Where do we fall?
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:07 pm

Alain Benoit wrote:As a brand the only mic of theirs that ever really impressed me was their no longer made Classic, although I have not heard the Classic II. I remember back in 1999 a pro audio shop in Montreal I used to deal with trying to sell me on an NT-1 and NT-2 saying that the NT-2 was just like an 87. This is just before the flood of chinese mics.

Though I haven't had the luck to try it, the "Classic II" in spite of having a horrible name can apparently hold it's own against anything for great vocal work. This from folks with lockers full of better known "classics".

The original RODEs (NT1 NT2) are hardly even related to the newer mics. The thing with RODE that I'll admit is you either like the voicing of them, or you don't. IMO they have a "sound" much like Neumann's mid forward thing that you either love or don't.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:13 pm

Alain Benoit wrote:Where do we fall?
You don't. I could easily do anything I would be called to do in your space. I can't say the same for many others.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:15 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
You don't. I could easily do anything I would be called to do in your space. I can't say the same for many others.

Even with only 2 SM57s?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:16 pm

Mathieu Benoit wrote:
Malcolm Boyce wrote:

Even with only 2 SM57s?

(lap

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:17 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:

I meant proportionately which i'm not sure I understand as a concept but i think I know where you're going.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:18 pm

BTW... Even I only have 3... :oops:

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:19 pm

In fairness we have a Beta 57 that I need to add to that list and we have the Unidyne. So that almost counts as 4.

FTW!!!!

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

PreviousNext

Return to Sounds Good...