Condenser mics... Not for the stage.

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Condenser mics... Not for the stage.

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:29 pm

I hear this parroted a lot, and it may have once been that the studio was the domain of the condenser microphone, but that has certainly changed over the last decade or so.

I routinely hear people suggesting that you "need" a dynamic vocal mic for live use, or that you should "stay away" from condensers for other live uses, of course with the only regular exception being cymbals or "percussion". The reality is, condensers are becoming very prevalent in the live setting. It is not uncommon for me to mix shows with the only dynamic mic on stage being on a bass drum.

It used to be that budget kept folks from trying condensers on different things live, but that certainly isn't the case anymore. Many companies are offering exceptional value mics for on stage use.

Yes, there are many circumstances where the dynamic mics will still be king on stage. I just want everyone to stop ruling out their condenser buddies without trying them out first. It can really be an ear opener.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: Condenser mics... Not for the stage.

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:54 pm

So, my first question would be: Where did that myth originate?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby dylanger » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:17 pm

I've been thinking about trying to bring my AT4041 to put on my acoustic on stage but I've been scared that it would feedback. I was going to ask the question on here how to go about it but I never did get around to it.
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:06 am

First of all what do you normally do? DI?
In most situations around here, monitor demands being what they are and venue treatment being what it is I would lean towards a DI before a mic for better feedback rejection.
That being said, if the player can stay still, the guitar is loud, the mic is tight (polar pattern wise), the required level in the monitor is reasonable and the stage volume is not out of context, I say sure let's try it.

A.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:07 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:I hear this parroted a lot, and it may have once been that the studio was the domain of the condenser microphone, but that has certainly changed over the last decade or so.

I routinely hear people suggesting that you "need" a dynamic vocal mic for live use, or that you should "stay away" from condensers for other live uses, of course with the only regular exception being cymbals or "percussion". The reality is, condensers are becoming very prevalent in the live setting. It is not uncommon for me to mix shows with the only dynamic mic on stage being on a bass drum.

It used to be that budget kept folks from trying condensers on different things live, but that certainly isn't the case anymore. Many companies are offering exceptional value mics for on stage use.

Yes, there are many circumstances where the dynamic mics will still be king on stage. I just want everyone to stop ruling out their condenser buddies without trying them out first. It can really be an ear opener.

Never really heard that myth, although most engineers and artists are often shy of trying anything other than the SM or Beta 58's on vocals, it's a familiarity and comfort thing.
Last edited by Alain Benoit on Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby dylanger » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:20 am

Alain Benoit wrote:First of all what do you normally do? DI?
In most situations around here, monitor demands being what they are and venue treatment being what it is I would lean towards a DI before a mic for better feedback rejection.
That being said, if the player can stay still, the guitar is loud, the mic is tight (polar pattern wise), the required level in the monitor is reasonable and the stage volume is not out of context, I say sure let's try it.

A.

I don't have electronics at all in my acoustic, I haven't been able to decide what to put in it.
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby RoadDog » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:26 am

Traditionally, condenser mics were fragile, in that they had a very low 'drop coefficient', like one and done, had limited ability to handle stage spl and tended to be a tad on the expensive side, therefore, unless you were a major act with major budget you tended to leave the good china at home.

Today, these limitations are all but extinct, save for the odd HIGH END piece of kit. I am all for putting the phantom menace to work...
A spider wanders aimlessly within the warmth of a shadow....
RoadDog
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:06 pm

RoadDog wrote:Traditionally, condenser mics were fragile, in that they had a very low 'drop coefficient', like one and done, had limited ability to handle stage spl and tended to be a tad on the expensive side, therefore, unless you were a major act with major budget you tended to leave the good china at home.

Today, these limitations are all but extinct, save for the odd HIGH END piece of kit. I am all for putting the phantom menace to work...
All what I believe.

I would add that several of the more robust names have cranked out some specifically stage worthy condenser mics to meet up with demand for the quality the work needs. Stage vocal mics, small diaphragm instrument mics, and even some side address mics tailored for stage use.

That AT Dylan has will work fine as an acou gtr mic in the right situations. Audio Technica is making some of the best stage microphones money can buy these days. I wish I had chances to try more of them out.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:34 pm

In my opinion AT has long been an underrated product.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Return to Sounds Good...