(Neumann Gefell MV692/RFT M70*2)+ cello + y = x

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

(Neumann Gefell MV692/RFT M70*2)+ cello + y = x

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:18 am

Good morning Andrew, I trust the transfers went well last night? I'll keep an eye on LogMeIn from time to time in the future to make sure it doesn't shit the bed again.

Tomorrow I'm recording a cello, before this cellist leaves for Ontario. I thought it was a perfect opportunity to try out the new mics. So as is the normal course around here, you and I are going to have a public two way conversation about this.

Do you have any requests? Ultimately I'll do whatever sounds best given the music, but if you have some things you'd like me to try out for your own interest (or mine,) I'll glady give them a whirl. Maybe some A/B tests possibly? Whatever you want... Since you won't be here, I thought I'd extend the courtesy.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Re: (Neumann Gefell MV692/RFT M70*2)+ cello + y = x

Postby macrae11 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:41 am

Sounds fun. Yeah they seemed to go well, I set them to download this morning.

If you're doing stereo I would either do XY from a few feet out from the bridgeular area. Distance to taste based on the amount of room you want. Usually if I'm doing cello it's going to be mono, so similar position but with one mic. Would be interesting to hear it against the L251, and the 414, but depends on how much of a bother you want to be.

Is it for a cello part in a mix, or something more string section based?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:03 pm

macrae11 wrote:If you're doing stereo I would either do XY from a few feet out from the bridgeular area. Distance to taste based on the amount of room you want. Usually if I'm doing cello it's going to be mono, so similar position but with one mic. Would be interesting to hear it against the L251, and the 414, but depends on how much of a bother you want to be.

Is it for a cello part in a mix, or something more string section based?

Solo cello in a very sparse mix. I was thinking mono myself, or maybe M/S. I wanted to try it against the L251, the 414EB and the 4051a. Being as you probably have a pretty good idea what I'm up to now, would you suggest I try booth or room?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:35 pm

Room with Gobos. Just make sure you get the ambiance right. Might be nice to have a close mic and stereo room, or something of that nature. It's a little safer that way.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:07 pm

Good call. I'll set up a couple of close mics to try out and I'll use the 4050s as stereo rooms.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby RoadDog » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:30 am

popcorn
A spider wanders aimlessly within the warmth of a shadow....
RoadDog
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:23 am

I must have jinxed it by posting it online. Cellist had to cancel last minute. She's moving to tomorrow Ontario for school and some family thing came up at the last minute.

To be continued (for now)...

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby giggleycraft » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:16 am

You can get some interesting discussions on mic placements specific to cello on this forum..

http://cellofun.yuku.com/reply/32608/Recorders#reply-32608

Usually they pop up in the instruments and equipment board. There have been a few discussions about mics and placement there.
giggleycraft

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:14 pm

This is going down tonight. Stay tuned...

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:11 pm

I wasn't there for the set up since we were really tight on time for when the performer could come in, so I had Alain, Blaze and Nick set it up as per Andrew's suggestion. Tight gobos around the performer and spaced pair 4050s on the outside. Alain opted for an x/y pairing of the Gefells for the close mics. Not necessarily what I would have done but I left it up to him as he was going to sign off on the sound to tape. I liked how it sounded alone and in context so once I've had a chance I'll post one of the takes on here with a break down of the two pairings.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to Sounds Good...