Overhead Stereo Image question.

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Overhead Stereo Image question.

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:47 pm

Say I have the snare drum centered really well in the over heads and I like how everything sounds but the drummer has a very assymetrical setup for cymbals and the crashes are a bit right side heavy. It doesn't bother me too much yet, but it might down the road. Any suggestions or advice?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Re: Overhead Stereo Image question.

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:28 pm

It really is just a choice you have to make at that point. I don't think there's anything wrong with things being "off center" if it ultimately suits things mix wise.

I know some folks obsess over things being centered and "symmetrical" like that, and I don't understand it. I know that's not what you're saying, but I just had to mention it... crazy to me.

Many times if you soloed OHs from me, the snare may be off "center", but the tone and levels of the kit will ultimately be balanced. I know for some people that would drive them crazy, but I believe the balance of the whole kit is most important.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:20 pm

I'm certainly not obsessing, but I guess I'll see what it sounds like in context. I haven't actually started the session yet, we are setting up tonight.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:22 pm

Couple things I do in this scenario. If I'm still in the tracking phase I'll go with a tighter stereo array if things start feeling too lopsided. Usually XY, sometimes even at a little less than 90 degrees instead of my modified ORTF. Basically just make things a little more monoish. Also like Mal said, it's fine to have the snare not perfectly dead center. Mine often isn't. And even if you want it centred you can pan the close mics a bit to the left(assuming audience perspective of a left handed drummer) to pull the snare more to the centre. Have to be careful with that one because it can start to sound a bit odd, and your stereo image will shift if you volume automate your close mics separate from your overheads. Kick is the only thing I always like to have dead centre because I find it locks better with the bass. Since a lot more of it's tone is derived from the direct mics than the overheads, it's usually not an issue.

When all else fails, go mono!
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:09 pm

I started with ORTF and ended up with a pretty sharp angle version of it to narrow the stereo image. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be when I saw it, so there you go.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to Sounds Good...