PT10

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Re: PT10

Postby macrae11 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:55 pm

Mathieu Benoit wrote:
macrae11 wrote:Ah there's the rub. Don't know who to get on the phone. Try searching the avid site for sales numbers. They're hard to get in touch with by phone without having a special in. They work much more over email. You could also check the DUC for somebody who knows more than me. One thing I just thought of though, did you upgrade your system? Because if you purchased an upgrade before Oct 1 then they probably would know about it and you'd be SOL.

Then I just need an email address. The puchase of the card came with HD8 I think, because it came with a "Pro Tools HD 9.0 No Cost Update". that update shows on our Avid account that it was "purchased" on Oct 04, 2011. It's a completely separate license than the Pro Tools 9 that we had before (which I will keep when we separate the control room from my edit/composition suite.) So basically... we purchased HD8 with that card, and it came with a free upgrade to HD9 that we "purchased'registered" on Oct 04, 2011.

Does that help?

I think you're good then. You could try here: 650-731-6100 or here: http://www.avid.com/US/support/support-center
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:09 pm

macrae11 wrote:I think you're good then. You could try here: 650-731-6100 or here: http://www.avid.com/US/support/support-center

Calling right now. I'm in the cue... The pre-recorded message seems to suggest that you are right.

EDIT: 23 minutes on hold. What I might do is call them when I get to the studio after work tonight... That way I can be productive while I wait. :-)
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:53 pm

Update: I finally got through at the last minute. I spoke with a representative names Eric. I asked him if I was eligible for the free upgrade, and he said that we weren't since it was a "no cost" upgrade. I said that we had purchased the core card from the seller knowing full well that PT9 was included for free as an upgrade. I then asked him why the retailer didn't just sell it to us with PT9; I asked why we were given a "free upgrade" instead.

His answer was that sometimes a retailer sits on a card that comes with a previous version of Pro Tools and they include a free upgrade instead to compensate for that. That's when I went for the kill... I asked him with that should be relevant to me, since I was making the purchase of a card expecting to get PT9HD with it. He paused for a second and said ... "Well, you definitely have a point." I asked why I should be penalized for a policy that is in place between the retailer and Avid, for all intents and purposes I purchased an HD core card with PT9. The only reason it came with HD8 and I had to get a "free upgrade" to HD9 was because of something that is really irrelevant to me as the purchaser.

He agreed, and said that he needed to speak to his manager. I told him I had to get back to work, and left him my email address and he assured met that I'd get an answer today. He said they might need to see the purchase agreement. I asked why, and he said so they can verify the purchase description. So the purchase date itself seems to be irrelevant.

He sent me an email a few mintues later requesting that I send him a scan of the receipt so that we can resolve this issue. I don't have it on me, but I'll get it from Alain when he wakes up.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:58 pm

Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem once you get the right person on it.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:28 pm

macrae11 wrote:Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem once you get the right person on it.

Alain is going to forward me his paypal receipt since the email receipt the seller sent was just an ebay receipt that doesn't have much in the way of details. It does describe the goods as "Digidesign HD1 Core PCIe Card New w/PT9" so I think we are good.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:53 pm

Done.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:48 pm

macrae11 wrote:Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem once you get the right person on it.

So long as they don't give me some crap about the purchase date or anything. But Eric never once mentioned anything about a purchase date in our conversation.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:26 pm

Got it installed and tested with a few sessions, and so far so mostly good. Had one major crash which totally buggered up the system when I was loading a big old session, but I restarted and loaded the exact same session and it worked perfectly.

Clip gain is very cool, I'll be using that a lot. RAM Cache is amazing. Loaded a big session fully into RAM and it played back as if there were no tracks in the session at all. Exactly as advertised. Can't wait to use some of the AudioSuite features. They'll make my life much easier for doing narrations, especially long format stuff.

I'm sure there's some other stuff I'll discover as time goes on, but most of the features seem to be post oriented. Stuff I'll use but not on a regular basis. There's also some other neat stuff like exporting direct to iTunes or Soundcloud, but I'll basically never use those. New channel strip is nice, but I don't usually use channel strips. If it's more stable that's all I care about at this point. I'll try working heavily on some other big sessions in the next few weeks and see how it responds.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:59 pm

So far I hear good things about it working with Procontrol as well. a couple of minor bugs that people have found fixes for. I really hope we can get this for free.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:46 am

The response I get is this:

The receipt from PayPal shows a purchase date of July 21, 2011, which would not qualify for the upgrade.

This is kinda what I was afraid of since the website says this:

You’re eligible to receive a complimentary upgrade to Pro Tools 10 or Pro Tools HD 10 if you've done one of the following:

Purchased and registered a full version of Pro Tools 9 software—or an Avid product that included Pro Tools 9 or Pro Tools HD 9 software—on or after October 1, 2011. (register your purchase).
Purchased a Pro Tools 9 upgrade or crossgrade, or a Pro Tools HD 9 upgrade, on or between October 1–20, 2011.

So what are your thoughts Andrew, should I push this further?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby RoadDog » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:10 am

popcorn
A spider wanders aimlessly within the warmth of a shadow....
RoadDog
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:09 am

Yeah I didn't realize that you purchased it so far in advance. The only other thing you might be able to try is see if you can get someone else on the phone with the receipt of the upgrade and claim you lost the purchase receipt. If you get the right person on the phone you might be able to swindle them. It's a long shot, but it's about all you have left. Depends on how much time you have on your hands and how much effort you want to put in to make it worthwhile.

Mathieu Benoit wrote:The response I get is this:

The receipt from PayPal shows a purchase date of July 21, 2011, which would not qualify for the upgrade.

This is kinda what I was afraid of since the website says this:

You’re eligible to receive a complimentary upgrade to Pro Tools 10 or Pro Tools HD 10 if you've done one of the following:

Purchased and registered a full version of Pro Tools 9 software—or an Avid product that included Pro Tools 9 or Pro Tools HD 9 software—on or after October 1, 2011. (register your purchase).
Purchased a Pro Tools 9 upgrade or crossgrade, or a Pro Tools HD 9 upgrade, on or between October 1–20, 2011.

So what are your thoughts Andrew, should I push this further?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Previous

Return to Sounds Good...