New mics to me.

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

New mics to me.

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:19 pm

First, the Shure Beta 27... I picked up 4 of these at the end of last season at Imperial Theatre, so I'm just getting around to putting them through their paces now that we're back into shows. It is turning out to be one of those mics that I'm playing the "how many things will this work on" game. So far, drum OH, gtr amp, bass amp, sax, close miced hollow body electric gtr. All stellar. This has the possibility of being a real player by the sound of things. I'm starting to see them come through with shows as well, so I'm not the only one taking notice of this little gem.

Beta 181. We got three of them in cardioid. So far, outstanding on the Steinway, which is one of the things I specifically had in mind for these. Hats and OHs on drums... beautiful. That it so far, but I imagine you'll see me try these on drums and percussion as well as other usual SDC tasks.

Beta 91A. Although I typically have little use for these, they are showing up on riders so much I finally had to cave and get one. I'm more of a believer in put one good mic in a bass drum, instead of two that sort of work, but whatever works. So far, I can only imagine using it set "flat" as opposed to the little eq curve that it allows, although the two mic in one drum crowd might like that all attack and no body sound to mix with a good mic.

...and yes it is easier to buy mics that you've never tried when you're not spending your own money. :-)
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: New mics to me.

Postby macrae11 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:02 pm

What's the difference between the Beta27 and the old KSM27? I always liked the KSM27, but the KSM32 was a noticeably better mic, for not much more money. The Beta181 looks interesting. KSM141 heritage? I love flexible SDC's like that. Especially when they're side address.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:37 pm

macrae11 wrote:What's the difference between the Beta27 and the old KSM27? I always liked the KSM27, but the KSM32 was a noticeably better mic, for not much more money. The Beta181 looks interesting. KSM141 heritage? I love flexible SDC's like that. Especially when they're side address.
Beta 27 is Supercard as opposed to straight Cardioid like the KSM... Typical "Beta" thing. The top end is noticeably smoother which is not what you would expect with it going supercard so there's a lot more going on in there in spite of it looking almost identical including features. I do believe the KSM was slightly more expensive, although it did include a shock mount which the Beta is a straight swivel mount. The KSM 32 is also a smaller diaphragm and a fair bit "different" otherwise.

I don't think there's much of a lineage between the Beta 181 and the KSM137/141. I know they don't sound like it, and the specs reveal a very different beast. First thing that alarmed me was no pad, until I read the Max SPL was like 150+db... The top end peak is there, but not stupid... very musical to me. I'll be curious to try them with different patterns.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Alain Benoit » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:55 pm

I would like to give these 181's a whirl here.

A.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Return to Sounds Good...