Subwoofer Arrays?

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Subwoofer Arrays?

Postby n2it » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:46 am

Jesse Ash posted this on Facebook. Thought I'd pass it along for the consideration of others: http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/tech_talk_building_directional_subwoofer_arrays/
n2it

Re: Subwoofer Arrays?

Postby fred » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:13 am

ive played with a few dif types of arrays at work (clair brothers) and i like the idea of sending the bass into the crowd , it cleans up the stage well too as the bass only goes one way(for the most part)

some of the arrays ive tried are flown cardioid, ground stacked cardioid and endfire(with delays)

neat stuff for sure and im sure the musicians appreciate the clean stage sound and can hear the bassist and drummer better.
fred

Re: Subwoofer Arrays?

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed May 01, 2013 1:25 am

I'm know things are becoming much more efficient, but I remember one of the early problems was the power being consumed just to cancel out off axis of the pattern. I remember a pair of the Meyer cardioid subs coming into Imperial with Diana Krall and they were huge and massive power for what they were. I haven't seen another one of those since.

Now with digital processing, the ability to "steer" LF is pretty cool stuff. Most useful in huge setups, as opposed to what most of us mortals are working on.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Return to Sounds Good...