Most times, "great" really is just at the source.

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Most times, "great" really is just at the source.

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:47 pm

In the age of geardom where countless threads about "what chain do I need to make 'x' sound more like 'y'?" permeate the interwebs, I recently had one of those experiences that once again reinforced my understanding of where quality comes from.

I have been admiring the vocal sound on a female artist's album from 5 years or so back. She is without a doubt, a fantastic singer with unbelievable delivery. I have had the pleasure of meeting and working with her as a musician over the years, but doing her own solo work, I had yet to experience it. Her albums are always immaculately produced and recorded, and her vocal always has that beautiful, balanced, airy quality that you wish you could get with every singer. The top end, IMO, is to die for. As usual, it is easy to picture her singing into a C12, or 251, or equally beautiful and expensive mic to get that kind of sweet HF content, and of course all kinds of other expensive boutique gear... The stuff Gearslutz is made of!

So I recently finally mixed FOH for a show with her as one of the performers. I set up a Beta87A for her vocal... Basically, the best thing I had on hand for what I expected, and bam... There it was. That balance, and sweet, smooth airy quality I had been hearing on her albums. Absolutely nothing I had done to create that sound, other than staying out of the way. It just exists, right there in front of her face...

I know newbies hate hearing this time and time again, but it really is all about the source.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: Most times, "great" really is just at the source.

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:23 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:I know newbies hate hearing this time and time again, but it really is all about the source.

It's easier to throw money at a problem than it is to throw talent and discipline. It's easier to find money that is...
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Re: Most times, "great" really is just at the source.

Postby RoadDog » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:41 am

Humbling isn't it ? I have always considered myself extremely fortunate to just be in the room when stuff like that happens...
A spider wanders aimlessly within the warmth of a shadow....
RoadDog
Bronze Member

Return to Sounds Good...