Martin 000-15S

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Martin 000-15S

Postby dylanger » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:58 pm

Just picked this up used while I was in the states and I'm just wondering if anyone has recorded one of these, or any all mahogany guitar for that matter. I bought it cause it was cool and a really good deal but I'm starting to think that this might sound better than my D28 recorded. I was expecting harsh high end but its very warm, dark and cuts through very nicely.

Heres the guitar if anyone isn't familiar

http://www.martinguitar.com/index.php?o ... m&Itemid=8
dylanger
Silver Member

Re: Martin 000-15S

Postby clinton » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:09 pm

all kinds of jealous right here I am!
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby dylanger » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:44 pm

I was actually thinking about you when I was trying it out, it's
very good for finger style and the way you play. I think I'm going to get an lr baggs sound hole pickup for it
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:18 am

The last thing I would think about in relation to mahogany is "harsh high end". "Warm" and "Dark" would definitely be words that would come to mind....

A great guitar is a great guitar, regardless of the wood. Glad you're loving it.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:20 am

I've never found the all mahogany Martins to be anything to write home about, but I've never tried one of the smaller body ones. The larger body styles are just muddy and undefined, not smooth and warm like one would hope. Perhaps the smaller body would counteract some of this. For fingerpicking I'm sure it would be great, but I would think getting it to sit in any kind of dense mix would be a lost cause. Usually cedar is a hard enough wood for a top for me to get warmth if that's what I'm looking for, but perhaps the mahogany guitars I tried were all dogs. Certainly not an impossibility given my small sample size and Martins inconsistency's.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby clinton » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:14 am

it must be your experience for sure. Almost every all mahagony guitar I've played has been great. I'd kill a man for a 60's Guild M20
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby macrae11 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:42 am

clinton wrote:it must be your experience for sure. Almost every all mahagony guitar I've played has been great. I'd kill a man for a 60's Guild M20

Totally could be. Almost all of my experience with all mahogany guitars are Martin 15 series though. Again with their consistency over the last 15 years it really wouldn't surprise me if I just played some duds.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Return to Sounds Good...