isolated power

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

isolated power

Postby Blake » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:22 pm

So does any one think it is good idea to ground a isolated power system to a copper water pipe. In addition, the pipe being located next to all the HVAC equipment for the house. After some recent power issues I did some searching and found that for the last 8 years or so the Fredericton playhouse system has not been so isolated.
Blake

Postby weatherstation audio » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:31 pm

In terms of isolated,
Is the ground isolated with the help of a transformer or is it isolated in the way of one single ground to the earth ?
"sweet songs never last too long on a broken radio"
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:30 pm

I meant to get back to this sooner. I was hoping that someone who knows more would help out here.

I don't think the ground is currently isolated, I think Blake is meaning that the power is isolated, and he's looking to isolate the ground. I may be wrong.

My limited understanding is that grounding to a water entrance pipe is not a substitute for a proper grounding rod. That being said, if you did decide to go that way, you would need to attach within a few feet of where the water entrance leaves the earth. Otherwise, you are asking for a big problem.

Putting in a proper grounding rod isn't that big of a deal. You do need to follow proper guidlines, but if you have a good isolated ground, and keep it isolated, you'll be very happy with the results.

Anyone else?
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Alain Benoit » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:55 pm

When you say that your power is isolated, how exactly do you mean, isolated how and from what?
Isolated power and isolated ground are two different things.
Like Malcolm said, grounding to "COLD" water pipe is valid but is not a substitute to an earth ground. And like Malcolm metioned it must be done as close as possible to where the water comes into the building from the street in other words as close as possible to 'earth'.
If you give us more information about your scenario maybe we can be of more help.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Blake » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:36 pm

hay guys yes there is an 3 phase isolation transformer and a separate ground for audio. but after a little looking it seemes like what they a temped to do was have all the grounds from the circuits go to the water pipe to "isolate" it from the building. they also have the chaise and conduit grounding to the building. so my thought was what if the crossed at some point and shore enough they did. i also have found that we have two sub panels each 40amp 3phase and the ground from them to the main is only a 14 gauge. It is a pretty sad sight if any one can recommend an electrician with a background in this field it would be great. i have been told that it was all checked out when the pa went in but i doubt it happened
Blake

Return to Sounds Good...