Is an SM57 a microphone?

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Re: Is an SM57 a microphone?

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:21 pm

macrae11 wrote:So the songs not released yet so I can't let it out of the bag, but I figure it's safe to upload some drum tracks. Here's the whole drum mix with nothing else:
http://soundcloud.com/mastertracks-studios/drums

I was going for a tight and dry drum sound so the room mic didn't make the mix, which was the only mic. Even the hi hat snuck in there a little bit. Loving the big fat snare sound.

As a side note I don't use soundcloud much but PT10 has this cool new feature that I wanted to try. You can now upload your mix direct from Pro Tools to Soundcloud. Just type in your user name and password and PT handles the rest. Not something I'll use a lot but would be really cool for self recordists to be able to upload the absolute best quality very quickly and easily.

Bad edit (or something) at 1:14. :-P

Toms sound great though. I like the snare too, but of course I would.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:37 am

Yeah "or something". I didn't notice it in the mix, but it's fixed now anyways.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:42 am

macrae11 wrote:So the songs not released yet so I can't let it out of the bag, but I figure it's safe to upload some drum tracks. Here's the whole drum mix with nothing else:
http://soundcloud.com/mastertracks-studios/drums

I was going for a tight and dry drum sound so the room mic didn't make the mix, which was the only mic. Even the hi hat snuck in there a little bit. Loving the big fat snare sound.

As a side note I don't use soundcloud much but PT10 has this cool new feature that I wanted to try. You can now upload your mix direct from Pro Tools to Soundcloud. Just type in your user name and password and PT handles the rest. Not something I'll use a lot but would be really cool for self recordists to be able to upload the absolute best quality very quickly and easily.

Love the toms, and the snare....

Clever little ProTools option uploading that. Cool. I remember thinking how cool it was to just do a direct export of an mp3 from Sonar years ago... :oops:
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:19 pm

I'm really curious as to how the SM7 works in comparison to the 421 as far as off-axis sound goes. I don't remember being overly bothered by the SM7 before... btu I can't remember. Next dynamic I'm buying is another 201, but then it's either another 421 or another SM7.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:55 pm

I haven't had as much of an issue with the bleed on the SM7, but I do prefer (slightly) the direct sound of the 421. Perhaps you should be saving up after the 201 and get another 414. :lol:
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:00 pm

macrae11 wrote:I haven't had as much of an issue with the bleed on the SM7, but I do prefer (slightly) the direct sound of the 421. Perhaps you should be saving up after the 201 and get another 414. :lol:

We almost bought another 414EB while we were in Boston. We totally should have too. 90% of what I do only requires 2 toms so that would be perfect.

As for the direct sound, they are both pretty close for me, with a slight edge to the SM7.

EDIT: I just checked and it's still available for $500. Capsule has been replaced by the factory as well.
Last edited by Mathieu Benoit on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:04 pm

And for bigger stuff, I always bring my 414s up when I'm working anyways. We'll have to do a few more 414's on toms sessions and see if that's going to be the long term trend. Could also do 4050's and 414's on toms and then do a mono room with the Lawson. Or a weird MS room with the Lawson and anything else.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Re: Should this go in the sounds bad forum?

Postby RoadDog » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:35 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
sean.boyer wrote:For live I would use 421's all day long, on anything... All drums (even kick!....
Why "even"? A pretty large number of bass drums miced over the years with 421s. Live and in the studio.

When I was first starting out doing live work, there would almost certainly be 6-10 421s in a decent sized rig. They were used on so many things, and killer good 'cept for the clip. Now, you'd be lucky to see one in a mic list because so many cheaper, and certainly more convenient options have replaced it.

Yes, "even kick" ? Always kick for me, if there is one to be had...
A spider wanders aimlessly within the warmth of a shadow....
RoadDog
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:24 am

RoadDog wrote:Yes, "even kick" ? Always kick for me, if there is one to be had...

You need an m88. :mrgreen:

You also need to come by the studio soon.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:34 pm

RoadDog wrote:... if there is one to be had...
I believe we'd both agree the good ol' days was when one was always "to be had".
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Previous

Return to Sounds Good...