Why are you getting your album "mastered"?

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Re: Why are you getting your album "mastered"?

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:39 pm

Hey Dylan!

if you want to A/B my final mixes for Marissa against the final mastered version I might be able to arrange that, since you were a big help on the title track. Just in case you are still feeling that getting it properly mastered is not worth it. I'd argue that it's pound-for-pound the best money she spent on entire project.

I'd also recommend going down for an attended session, mostly because I wanna go back. :mrgreen:
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Nick H. » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:49 pm

I notice on the Archive website, they offer "Stereo Analog Tape Layback", which is, according to their website: "Full mixes are recorded to 1/2" analog tape on our custom ATR-102 recorder either before or during the mastering process. Probably the most popular of these services."

Has anyone here ever tried anything like that? Any ideas what the results would be like?
Nick H.
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:58 pm

Nick H. wrote:I notice on the Archive website, they offer "Stereo Analog Tape Layback", which is, according to their website: "Full mixes are recorded to 1/2" analog tape on our custom ATR-102 recorder either before or during the mastering process. Probably the most popular of these services."

Has anyone here ever tried anything like that? Any ideas what the results would be like?
It's an effect, the same an anything else.

I'm just old enough to remember when tape was a storage medium, tweaked to be as transparent as possible. Today, we hear many conversations about "hitting" tape for compression... etc. It certainly wasn't the norm for the overwhelming number of users.

Recording to, and playing back from analog tape is going to increase distortion, as well as the noise floor. I'm not saying it can't be a pleasant experience. I just won't be doing it at the mastering stage of anything I do.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby dylanger » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:47 am

Mathieu Benoit wrote:Hey Dylan!

if you want to A/B my final mixes for Marissa against the final mastered version I might be able to arrange that, since you were a big help on the title track. Just in case you are still feeling that getting it properly mastered is not worth it. I'd argue that it's pound-for-pound the best money she spent on entire project.

I'd also recommend going down for an attended session, mostly because I wanna go back. :mrgreen:

Ya absolutely!
dylanger
Silver Member

Previous

Return to Sounds Good...