Albums you'd like a lot more if they weren't crushed.

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Albums you'd like a lot more if they weren't crushed.

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:53 pm

So... As a companion piece to the mastering discussion, how about some examples of stuff that is lost for you as a listener, as a result of limited dynamics in the final recording.

I'll start with:

Rush - "Vapor Trails"
Ermine - "Maps Of The Rise And Fall" & "The Murra"
Telfer - "Born This Morning"

:-(

This is never as simple as "blame the mastering" and is usually a joint effort between artist, recordist, and management/record company if there is one. The Rush example is a prefect one as that band has a history of being in control of every fine detail of their work, yet they look back at that record and say... Ooooops!
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: Albums you'd like a lot more if they weren't crushed.

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:42 pm

See, I wasn't a huge fan of the production of the Telfer album to begin with so it's hard to say. Loved the album, loved the band, not huge on the production. But I guess I'll get the chance to formulate my rebuttal via Tommy's solo project. I'll be trying my hardest to get him to send it to Archive nonetheless, but I agree that it wasn't necessarily a ME problem.

I'll think of a list and get back to you...
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:37 pm

The only album of the three that I'm very familiar with is the Telfer record. I actually don't mind the production to much but the mastering job is...excitable lets say. It's not even the limiting that gets me, it's how frigging bright it is. Listening on a good set of speakers and Tommy's sibilance will shave your head. But that's João for you.

My own examples off the top of my head, Audioslave albums, Switchfoot albums, Johnny Cash-- American Recordings, or anything Rick Rubin does, The Killers albums, many others.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby sean.boyer » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:13 pm

I like Maps so much that I try to ignore it. Also, I've been listening to it for ~10 years, and "it is what it is" to me now, you know?
sean.boyer

Postby Burnsy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:16 pm

I think this was mentioned in another post...but I am a huge Metallica fan, always have been. They haven't always had shining moments, but they tug on my heart strings in some weird dark commercially motivated kind of way. Anyways..... Death Magnetic by Metallica. I really enjoyed that album, but man.... Anyways.
Burnsy
Bronze Member

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:08 pm

"Born This Way" by Lady Gaga.

Don't look at me that way. I only got it for the HMV points. But man, is it ever mixed loud. It's really taxing to listen to, and not just because it's Lady Gaga.
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:46 pm

sean.boyer wrote:I like Maps so much that I try to ignore it. Also, I've been listening to it for ~10 years, and "it is what it is" to me now, you know?
Tracks like "Static" just sound so wrong to me.

Absolutely love the material and performances.

Hate it when that happens. :cry:
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby pcronin » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:33 am

Christian LeBlanc wrote:"Born This Way" by Lady Gaga.

Don't look at me that way. I only got it for the HMV points. But man, is it ever mixed loud. It's really taxing to listen to, and not just because it's Lady Gaga.

No one should ever need to apologize for buying an album. ;)

I got out of buying CDs a while back, between Amazon and iTunes lossless DRM free I felt pretty covered. I can tell on some of those MP3/AAC files the disturbing trend of compressing to the point of flat. Every once in a while an album comes along, (like the new Smashing Pumpkins) that actually has dynamic range, and I wonder if something is wrong with my playback :p
pcronin

Return to Sounds Good...