LCR

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

How do you pan things?

LCR
40%
I like to use "all of the space"
60%

Total votes : 5

Re: LCR

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:17 pm

Work? I tried working once- didn't care much for it... never went back.
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:47 am

Scott DeVarenne wrote:Just listen to the f'n song in mono.
Yes that guitar does disappear in mono... (lap

I forgot how much stuff is clipped/overdriven in that track as well. First time I gave it a spin in headphones in a while. That crazy synth in the right channel is awesome!
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:53 am

macrae11 wrote:"Walking on the Moon" isn't mono. It's certainly centre heavy,...
Mmmmmm.... You're copy must be broken... :-P Pretty "stereo" for me. I mean, we're not talkin' drum kit hard right/bass hard left kinda stereo, but certainly wide sounding for my taste.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:38 am

Yes, clipped and overdriven, but it's so nice.
But yeah, I wanted us all to go "Wow, such a great sounding and successful track, yet when summed to mono, the very significant rhythm guitar pretty much disappears. How could that be?" Was it a hit? Was it played on the radio back in 1979-80? I'm not trying to brag about how young I am, but I would have been too young to even know where our radio was when this album was released. I would guess there would have been a radio edit or maybe there was some magic technique that I don't know about, which would render tracks "radio friendly".?
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:12 am

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:21 am

macrae11 wrote: "old school stereo" mix ala Sharon Jones this week.

Oh man. Das dope. I have no idea what the video looks like because I had my head plunked on the table, in between my speakers. Very stereo.
It makes me want to get up and dance, but I'm afraid I might fall and hurt myself.
Great stuff!
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:34 am

The "Walking On the Moon" guitar thing appears to be a known thing to some. New news to me, but certainly not the first thing I've heard disappear mono summed.

That video version I posted seemed more "mono" than the album version I have and the guitar is far more in the mix there than when I mono summed. Curious.

On the local front... Blast from the past? ... viewtopic.php?p=4#p4

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:16 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
macrae11 wrote:"Walking on the Moon" isn't mono. It's certainly centre heavy,...
Mmmmmm.... You're copy must be broken... :-P Pretty "stereo" for me. I mean, we're not talkin' drum kit hard right/bass hard left kinda stereo, but certainly wide sounding for my taste.

Agreed, something weird was going on listening at home. Here at the studio it's obviously very stereo but at home everything was very narrow except for the phasy guitars and ambiance. I'll have to check that out sometime.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:31 am

Scott DeVarenne wrote:Yes, clipped and overdriven, but it's so nice.
But yeah, I wanted us all to go "Wow, such a great sounding and successful track, yet when summed to mono, the very significant rhythm guitar pretty much disappears. How could that be?" Was it a hit? Was it played on the radio back in 1979-80? I'm not trying to brag about how young I am, but I would have been too young to even know where our radio was when this album was released. I would guess there would have been a radio edit or maybe there was some magic technique that I don't know about, which would render tracks "radio friendly".?
I'm asking around and this find of yours seems to not be widely as known as you would think. What were you doing to discover this?

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:49 pm

I was refreshing my memory of the rhythm guitar part using a single speaker setup. I'm going to try flipping the polarity of one channel and combining them.
*edited to add "Cool!".
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby dylanger » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:49 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaZdnJPubu8

2:00

Just came across this and thought it was neat.
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:04 pm

dylanger wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaZdnJPubu8

2:00

Just came across this and thought it was neat.
Which part exactly?

I particularly like his comments on checking your mixes in mono, but if you find any real problems there, you should "fix" those issues in stereo. In other words, don't sacrifice your balance in stereo to make the mono collapse better.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby dylanger » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:53 pm

I guess the reason why his mixes are LCR. I didn't realize that old gear didn't have a pan knob and just had buttons for LCR.

I read somewhere that you should fix things that don't sound right in mono because radio is not played in "true stereo". What exactly does that mean? Or is this a thing of the past?
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:08 pm

dylanger wrote:I guess the reason why his mixes are LCR. I didn't realize that old gear didn't have a pan knob and just had buttons for LCR.
You need to remember that recording was exclusively "mono" for many years before "stereo" existed. A pan pot was science fiction for many, even once recordings started to be made "In Stereo".

dylanger wrote:I read somewhere that you should fix things that don't sound right in mono because radio is not played in "true stereo". What exactly does that mean? Or is this a thing of the past?
Many radio broadcasts were/are mono, and that may be what someone is talking about there. Stereo radio broadcasts do use a multiplex system that someone could be confused about, but that shouldn't cause any additional concern.

The fact is, for most of us, the percentage of time that our recordings will be played back on "mono" equipment is a fraction of 1%. Will you change a "stereo" mix that you're happy with for that to sound better? I'm not talking about something like Scott pointed out, where the guitar disappears completely when folded down into mono. I'm talking about things like... "The stereo guitars aren't quite as present in the mono sum as the stereo mix." I guess I make those decisions at the time as to what I'm going to do.

"Mono" for me is strictly an exercise to hear if anything is completely effed in that process, and then back to the real world... IN STEREO!

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:13 pm

All this being said, listening in mono can be a great mix tool that can help provide consistency and efficiency to your stereo mixes.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:22 pm

macrae11 wrote:All this being said, listening in mono can be a great mix tool that can help provide consistency and efficiency to your stereo mixes.

Just doing a mono mix is a great exercise in learning how to balance without the distraction of "panning".

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:22 pm

macrae11 wrote:All this being said, listening in mono can be a great mix tool that can help provide consistency and efficiency to your stereo mixes.

That's all I use it for.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Previous

Return to Sounds Good...