Latency with Cubase!

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Latency with Cubase!

Postby kid_chameleon » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:26 pm

Hey all, sorry I haven't posted in awhile. Recently it was like Christmas around my place because my new laptop and my new 88-key weighted midi controller arrived.

The midi controller is an m-audio keystation pro 88.

Here's the snafoo ... I've got some vst intstruments (native instruments elektrik piano to be specific) loaded up in cubase. I've got my ASIO4ALL drivers installed and the buffer set as low as it will go before clipping and dropouts.

I'm STILL getting some latency issues. It's not much ... 3-4 ms, but it's just enough to screw up my playing.

I did some tests (all within Cubase):

Recording to a click track playing single notes on time with the click. No problem.

Recorded a keyboard part to a click track. No problem.

Then I imported a wav drum beat and tried playing to that. The latency was behind the beat, so my hands instinctively played ahead of the beat to get something that sounded 'on'. Problem is that Cubase is not recording what I hear, but rather what I play - which means that when I play the recording back, the keys are way ahead of the beat.

BAH!

Help!

- jonny b goud
kid_chameleon

Re: Latency with Cubase!

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:04 pm

Jon,

It sounds like you are doing everything right.

I understand trying to describe something like this is difficult, but I don't understand what you mean by:
kid_chameleon wrote:The latency was behind the beat, so my hands instinctively played ahead of the beat to get something that sounded 'on'.

Let's try and clear up the terminology. "Latency" technically is delay between input to output. Either MIDI, or audio, what you present at input is delayed depending on the sample rate, and buffer size. That is "latency".

If the sample rate of your session or project is lowered because of the loop you are trying to play to, a-la a low sample rate drum loop or something, that will increase your latency.

The higher the sample rate, the lower the latency. If the sample rate is dictated by the loop you imported, that may explain it.

If everything else works except playing to a loop, I'd see what the sample rate of the loop is. The problem seems to be sample rate dependent, if you aren't changing buffer sizes when you tried to play to the loop.

Don't know if this helps you any. Get back and let know how things go.

TTYL
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby weatherstation audio » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:34 pm

Hi Jon,

Try matching your input buffer size to the output buffer size, experiment with different buffer sizes as well... this is where I would start troubleshooting this issue.

Marc
"sweet songs never last too long on a broken radio"
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby oddioguy » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:00 am

I've always found that there are latency problems, especially NI, within applications like Cubase. As a stand-alone app....not so much.
My work-around has been to use a general midi tone from your sound card while recording, and replace it with the NI tone you want to use after the fact.
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Return to Sounds Good...