Pensado's Place

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Pensado's Place

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:32 pm

I've only really watched a handful of complete episodes of this series, but I wanted to pass this on just in case some of the regulars here are unaware of it's existence as I think it's a fun watch, especially if you catch someone who's work you like.

I'm laughing how in the "Gearslutz" state of the world we're living and working in that folks are bashing this interview with Chris Lord-Alge, proving that they just don't get the importance of everything he talks about here. Instead of wanting to have someone like this hand you specific technical settings or "secrets", listening to how he has approached his work is worth far more than any compression ratio he might talk about.

I don't think it's just because I'm a fan of his work that I loved this episode so much. Check it out...

http://www.pensadosplace.tv/2012/08/24/ ... lord-alge/
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: Pensado's Place

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:07 pm

Great interview. Took MANY notes.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:48 am

On an unrelated, CLA note.... I like this.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Burnsy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:48 pm

Great video, thanks for posting it. This video is a reminder as to why I like school so much. It's possible to get audio engineering material from many sources; internet, books, videos, etc. But there is just something inherently unique when you get your learning from people who are in the trenches doing the work. There's so many elements of "magic" that instructors share with you, that helps to fill in the gaps based on real world experience. I think that's why I love school so much. You get the theory, you get the hands on, you get the instructor's history and personal resources to help you develop your own thing. They are there to answer questions...I guess they get paid to do it. The best instructor's aren't guarding their secrets, they're telling you what they are, and leaving them up to you, through trial and error and hard work, to figure out how to make it work for you. Telling someone a secret setting, doesn't mean the person with this new found information is going to know how to use it correctly. I love that one of the elements, and they touch on it... is working with your instincts, using your ears and gut more and not so much the technicalities of numbers associated with settings.

No, this isn't a plug for school. I just truly see the value in learning from people, with the tools of the trade, and resource material at your disposal. I also like the structure. There's all kinds of info hiding in the cracks of conversation.

*Edit* I think that's where I was going with the parallel thought on this video. People of the trade, having conversations with people who have lots of questions, and aren't afraid of answering them. I got the same feeling watching this video, as I do sitting in class, learning from instructors. And this happens daily for me! Great video, any more you'd recommend?
Burnsy
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:07 pm

Burnsy wrote:It's possible to get audio engineering material from many sources; internet, books, videos, etc. But there is just something inherently unique when you get your learning from people who are in the trenches doing the work. There's so many elements of "magic" that instructors share with you, that helps to fill in the gaps based on real world experience. I think that's why I love school so much. You get the theory, you get the hands on, you get the instructor's history and personal resources to help you develop your own thing. They are there to answer questions...I guess they get paid to do it. The best instructor's aren't guarding their secrets, they're telling you what they are, and leaving them up to you, through trial and error and hard work, to figure out how to make it work for you. Telling someone a secret setting, doesn't mean the person with this new found information is going to know how to use it correctly. I love that one of the elements, and they touch on it... is working with your instincts, using your ears and gut more and not so much the technicalities of numbers associated with settings.
Tom, you describe what is IMO the most complete, constructive way to approach getting great at this stuff.... and I'll tell you right now.... as soon as you stop approaching your work like that, you're fooling yourself. When you are working in this business, it stops being "instructor/student" relationships and becomes something where we are all students and instructors... at least the great folks I've ever worked with.

Burnsy wrote: Great video, any more you'd recommend?
I really haven't watched the majority of them. I remember liking the JJP Episode a lot. I also liked the Eric Sarafin one a fair bit.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:02 pm

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:49 am

Dave: So did you find that the gold cables made a subtle difference, or like a $1000 difference?

Mike: More like a $100,000 difference.

:shock:
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Mathieu Benoit wrote:Dave: So did you find that the gold cables made a subtle difference, or like a $1000 difference?

Mike: More like a $100,000 difference.

:shock:

That's the part where I went and made another cup of coffee... :roll:

Seriously. I've seen many examples of this over the years with high profile folks speaking loudly about something experienced and arrived at in such a biased manner.

...like the well known mastering engineer who asked for "original" hard drive files instead of "copies".

Whatever works.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:47 pm

Let me preface this by saying that I wasn't there during that session so I can't attest to what it sounded like before and after.... but I'd literally need to hear it to believe it. All due respect to Mr. Shipley, but that's a pretty bold statement.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:10 pm

People with a track record like that have earned a lot of wiggle room with their observations IMO.

It doesn't mean I believe him, or support what he's saying. It just means I won't be aggressively trying to take an opposing viewpoint like those on some other networks.

Similar thing happened some years back with Ross Hogarth and some power cables.

Like in your other thread. Work with what you can hear the difference in, and leave the rest to Mike Shipley.

I'm sure there are some who, immediately after that show, started to look for where they can pick up some of them special cables...

I know it's not the case for everyone, but never underestimate the hidden motivations of people promoting certain products in these cases.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:29 pm

Fantastic episode with Ross Hogarth.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Return to Sounds Good...