FAG mic shootout 2012

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

FAG mic shootout 2012

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:55 pm

I want to organize what can potentially be the first on many annual mic shootouts at Fluid Audio Group.

I propose that we hold it on a Saturday since there's the best chance we can get the most people involved. So long as I can get at least Nick, Malcolm and Andrew, I'll book the date. I'm pretty flexible on Saturdays this fall, so I'll mostly leave it to Andrew and Malcolm since I'm not sure what their schedule is. The more the merrier though... I'd love to have a dozen people out if possible. This is meant to be a community event, and I plan on sending invites to engineers of other studios in town. It's open to anyone that wants to participate (ahem... Boyer! ;-) )

I want to establish a game plan in advance though so we can be somewhat organized when we get together.

Possible categories include:

- Vocals (male/female)
- Electric Guitar (clean/distorted)
- Acoustic guitar
- Drums (snare, toms, kick, OHs, rooms)
- Bass amp

Are there any other categories that anyone would like to add?

For each of these categories we will try a variety of different microphones based on what everyone would like to hear. The tests will be "double blind" so that no one knows what they are listening to until the end of the test.

The purpose of this shootout is to allow people to hear microphones they would ordinarily not get a chance to hear on certain sources, within a context not unlike a real session.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome. I'm in the preliminary stages of organizing this so any help would be appreciated.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Re: FAG mic shootout 2012

Postby macrae11 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:47 pm

I'm up for this, however my time is pretty limited for about the next 6 weeks or so.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:49 pm

macrae11 wrote:I'm up for this, however my time is pretty limited for about the next 6 weeks or so.

Alain is on night shift for about that long anyways so thats fine. I'd still like to start be getting game plan started.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:25 pm

Thoughts about how to actually proceed in a relevant fashion?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:29 pm

macrae11 wrote:Thoughts about how to actually proceed in a relevant fashion?

Sure, since I've never technically hosted one of these before. :oops:

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:54 pm

Well the trouble with mic shootouts for mic shootouts sake is their lack of relevance in real world scenarios. If shooting out for a specific part in a song, you (should) know exactly what you're looking for and you'll get a chance to process it in a mix, which for me is a big part of what makes a great mic. When just throwing mics up on things it gives no context.

I'd propose tracking a song. Starting with a finished or mostly finished production and work through it replacing parts. Leave most of the electrics, and bass DI and add everything around those. It won't give as much detail into each instrument because there wouldn't be time, but I think it would provide a much more useful learning experience. I have no idea though as I've never done it that way. It would certainly be much more of a logistical nightmare.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:08 am

macrae11 wrote:I'd propose tracking a song. Starting with a finished or mostly finished production and work through it replacing parts. Leave most of the electrics, and bass DI and add everything around those. It won't give as much detail into each instrument because there wouldn't be time, but I think it would provide a much more useful learning experience. I have no idea though as I've never done it that way. It would certainly be much more of a logistical nightmare.

I love this idea. I'll have to the think about how the logistics would work, but apparent'y I have at least 6 weeks to think of it.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to Sounds Good...