Truth time... What do you hear?

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Re: Truth time... What do you hear?

Postby macrae11 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:35 pm

Mathieu Benoit wrote:If that's the case then the million dollar question becomes: Are there easier ways to achieve that "vibe" without all the drawbacks of the medium?

The whole analog vs. digital debate is multi-tiered as well. You have the medium, the processing and the mix bus. The only one of those that I have a lot of experience with is the processing. There isn't a plugin compressor available that I know of that can match the STC-8, but not all plugins/outboard units are created equal. The whole analog summing thing to me seems interesting, but I doubt the difference would be that life altering to me at this point. I haven't had the chance to really compare high quality analog tape recording to high quality converters going to a HDD. I'm sure if there was a difference it would be most obvious at this stage, but not because it's "analog" but because of the physical properties of tape as a medium.

Well as I've stated it's been 8 or 10 years since I've really made a serious comparison and technology has certainly carried on so I can't say how valid my recollections still are. However at the time it wasn't the "vibe" that made the difference to me. Sure on the MCI is vibey, but the Studer and especially the Otari's are not what I'd call vibey. The biggest difference I can remember perceiving is the sense of depth. Similar to the difference that I heard when I first heard the Gefell M295. Not that extreme but the same sensation. The feeling of 3D from a single channel. Perhaps with modern converter technology this has become less of a factor, again I haven't compared recently. I don't feel like the sounds I get lack enough to be able to justify the expense of good analogue.

Now that's just as a straight up recording medium. The fun tricks you can get into by pushing things to the extreme is a whole nother conversation.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Previous

Return to Sounds Good...