Yet another drum question from me

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Yet another drum question from me

Postby dylanger » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:37 am

So I plan on buying a drum kit in the next month or so. When I was young teenager I was a drummer (not that I admit that too often) and I had a pretty ghetto setup. My cymbals were old and broken and the shells were bought for $60 by my big brother. I plan on going all out for this and it's going to be used for recording and probably never for live use.

So the only problem I'm having with this is I'm on the fence over maple and birch. I plan on getting Yamaha absolute. I really like Matt's maple bass drum. More and more I'm hearing that exact same sound on some really good records. Would I lose a bit of this with birch or would it be better. What do you folks prefer to record with and for what reasons. There's a considerable price difference between the two, about $600.
dylanger
Silver Member

Re: Yet another drum question from me

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:04 am

Love many different drums, of many different makeups. Woods, metals, acrylics, fiberglass... That being said, consistently, in similar or even identical configurations, I will prefer birch over maple shells for both recording and live. They are both excellent woods for exclusive drum shell construction, and it really is just a matter of taste. I also don't buy into the "for this kind of music" talk when it comes to selection of wood for shells. Head choice and tuning will play a much larger role in the suitability genera wise of a given drum set.

Help any?
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:14 am

I will also throw out there that for me, Yamaha all birch drums have provided many of my favourite recording and live experiences. I would be happy as a player, or as a listener, with a Yamaha birch kit over many comparably priced options.

Yamaha Recording Custom drums are a big part of the reason why I love birch shell drums.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:17 am

My choice would have been to buy birch, but I just played the hand I was dealt.

I am however curious as to why you want to buy a drum kit just to record. The kit is only one of about a dozen different factors to consider. None of which are worth spending money on for an artist.

It's the same reason I don't play guitar. It's much more effective for me to hire someone for that, rather than take the time to learn it myself.

In the words of the infamous Fletcher though... YMMV.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby dylanger » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:10 am

Thanks for the reply's!

I actually really want to start playing drums again. It would really help me as an overall musician. I also really want to be record complete ideas, now that I have the space I want to start trying to recording full band situations with just myself. That's not to say that when its time to record another album that I'm not going to hire a studio and a drummer. In the long run I'm going to build a studio in salmon river ( a spot on the river in which I'm inheriting, it has a garage with a large loft) and this will be one of the pieces that I want.
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:54 am

In that case, I have always prefered birch shells to any other kind. I often joke that Warren's kit is the best kit in the whole studio, but that joke is based on a fair bit of truth. It's a Yamaha Recording Custom.

Birch shells usually have a lower fundamental tone than maple shells and also tend to have a shorter attack. Of course the heads and tuning matter a lot as well (as does the player,) but all other things being equal, those are the things you'll find with birch shells.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby dylanger » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:36 am

What about bass drums? I've heard of people going with maple luck birch toms
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:01 pm

dylanger wrote:What about bass drums? I've heard of people going with maple luck birch toms

Maybe, but I can't imagine why anyone would bother being that anal about it. Again of all the factors involved in recording drums, the difference between maple and birch would be low on my list of priorities to be concerned about.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:29 pm

Mathieu Benoit wrote:... Again of all the factors involved in recording drums, the difference between maple and birch would be low on my list of priorities to be concerned about.
This.

When you have an actual type/model of drum set in mind, pay more attention to the config and sizes, and worry less about the wood. Once you have drums of a given quality, the difference between maple and birch is less significant than most other factors.

Maybe if cost is no object, and you are dropping thousands on shells alone, then yes, spend time auditioning maple, birch, mahogany, and any combination or permutation of shell construction. If you are a mortal like most of us... Just get a great kit and start practicing!

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:14 am

I have done the maple kick birch shells thing before and it does work really well, but like the guys said, way far down the priority list. Is it really that much more expensive to buy individual shells as opposed to a shell pack when you're in the top price bracket?

Just another thought because I know you're in the bluesyish type of genre, Oak makes has a great low end to it that can be great for that stuff. Not as appropriate for when you need the cut for pop stuff, and probably not the best for a house kit but don't ignore it.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Alain Benoit » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:57 pm

dylanger wrote:What about bass drums? I've heard of people going with maple luck birch toms

I went the opposite with my dw.

A.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby dylanger » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:16 am

I really like the oak toms, I found them very warm. I know there are many other factors when recording drums but from what I gather this is the most permanent factor. The room will change the skill of the drummer can change ect. I figured if I buy good shells ill have them forever, same reason why I buy good guitars.

I can assure you I'm mortal haha. So I took that advice and I'm buying a used birch custom kit. Comes with cases and some old crappy hardware ill replace sooner than later for 1700. 20" kick, 10" Tom, 14" Tom 16" floor Tom and 14" matching snare. Kind of a weird config. Maybe the 12" was stolen or something.
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:12 am

dylanger wrote:I really like the oak toms, I found them very warm. I know there are many other factors when recording drums but from what I gather this is the most permanent factor. The room will change the skill of the drummer can change ect. I figured if I buy good shells ill have them forever, same reason why I buy good guitars.

I can assure you I'm mortal haha. So I took that advice and I'm buying a used birch custom kit. Comes with cases and some old crappy hardware ill replace sooner than later for 1700. 20" kick, 10" Tom, 14" Tom 16" floor Tom and 14" matching snare. Kind of a weird config. Maybe the 12" was stolen or something.

You will miss the 12" tom and the 22" kick... IMHO. Another huge consideration is the condition of the shells. If they are the slightest bit out of "true", good luck tuning them. Best way to avoid that is a perfectly flat surface, a flash light and a good quality measuring tape.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to Sounds Good...