Sample Rate....?

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

What are you tracking at?

44.1K 16Bit
6%
48K 16Bit
22%
88.2K 16Bit
No votes
96K 16Bit
No votes
44.1K 24Bit
39%
48K 24Bit
22%
88.2K 24Bit
11%
96K 24Bit
No votes
Higher!
No votes

Total votes : 18

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:48 pm

Christian LeBlanc wrote:EDIT: just read Malcolm's post. Converting to mp3 would just be reducing it to two decimal points, then, right? :)

Actually mp3 are a compressed format not a wav or aiff so it's not just as simple as lower the bit depth at that point, thus quite a bit different then removing places beyond the decimal point.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:50 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
Drumwaiter wrote:Still though, is the DAW adding the depth that it perceives or is it from the converter? Where does it happen?
The DAW is basically adding more numbers for it to work with. Think of it as adding more decimal points when doing any type of math. When you add more bits, you start by just adding 8 more "Zeros" but as soon as you do any work or "calculations" you start using those extra decimal points.

So the DAW simply accepts the finer resolution. So then the question goes back to the converter, and how much resolution it gives the DAW to play with.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:42 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:
Christian LeBlanc wrote:EDIT: just read Malcolm's post. Converting to mp3 would just be reducing it to two decimal points, then, right? :)

Actually mp3 are a compressed format not a wav or aiff so it's not just as simple as lower the bit depth at that point, thus quite a bit different then removing places beyond the decimal point.
Matt is correct. Converting to MP3 is a much more complicated process.

With respect to Christian's original question about why bother...? Recording at a higher resolution than the delivery medium is most preferable no matter what.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:46 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:So then the question goes back to the converter, and how much resolution it gives the DAW to play with.
I think you'll find this varies from setup to setup. I can run a 24 bit session through my MAudio MobilePre but it's only passing 16bits of resolution in or out. Some equipment isn't so honest about what it's actually doing.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: Sample Rate....?

Postby sean.boyer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:48 pm

It's all about preserving your original audio data. The more you restrict it on the way in, (by recording at a lower bit depth and resolution), the less you have to play with once in your DAW, and mixing down.

44.1 is probably good enough for most of the time, but I like to record with more breathing room than I need, because it can't hurt to have the extra resolution. In my recording rig, I have 4x2T hard drives, so space is not even the remotest of issues for me.

I also agree with the 24 bit sentiment. I think you're more likely to hear a positive difference between 44.1/16 and 44.1/24 than you are with 44.1/16 and 88.2/16. YMMV.
sean.boyer

Re: Sample Rate....?

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:52 pm

sean.boyer wrote:I also agree with the 24 bit sentiment. I think you're more likely to hear a positive difference between 44.1/16 and 44.1/24 than you are with 44.1/16 and 88.2/16. YMMV.

I think you're hard pressed to find anyone who'll disagree with that generalization.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Previous

Return to Sounds Good...