Mixing w/clients

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

How do you like to mix?

I mix like George Thorogood drinks.
100%
I don't mind if the client wants to watch me work.
No votes
I have monophobia. If the client leaves the control room, I will be at the bar looking for love.
No votes

Total votes : 3

Mixing w/clients

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:08 pm

Here is a poll inspired by a thread I read elsewhere. I haven't thought about audio production in about 30 days but I just got a gig mixing a project for a client and I'm debating whether I want to keep him around for the mixing.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Re: Mixing w/clients

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:56 pm

I will mix with a producer in the room, but on the understanding that I will get to a point and then ask for opinion/direction. Artists are unwelcome until a certain degree of completion has been achieved.

Although some initially question the workflow, IME most people are fine with the concept of a mix being presented in a finished form for evaluation. If I have specific questions about content, I will address those as I come upon them during the process.

I fortunately have never had anyone insist on being there for every step of something I am mixing.

Mix by committee is something that I am not interested in participating in.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: Mixing w/clients

Postby macrae11 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:26 pm

I would always prefer to mix without artist contribution until near the end of the process. If the producer insists I will acquiesce but I find it distracting and feel I have to engage them in the process even if they're just sitting quietly. This makes things slower and also makes me less likely to take risks. Proximity can make a difference. For example a small control room or the client sitting right behind me can be distracting moreso than if they're at the back of big room like at Fluid. If they're quiet on the couch I can often fool myself into fooling myself that I'm alone.

All that being said sometimes things work out for the best when clients attend. For example one of my favorite albums I've done had the client present for 80% of the mixing. Another time I was mixing a very simple record(track wise) that the client had very specific ideas about how they wanted things and it would have been a much longer process if I hadn't been able to regularly confer with them.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Return to Sounds Good...