Digital Consoles Ruined Me.

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Digital Consoles Ruined Me.

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:12 am

Mixing my first large scale musical on an analog console in about 5 years. I don't know how I ever survived without digital and scene recall. I'm so fast with a PM5D now that without it, everything is painfully slow and no longer lives up to my expectations. The things you take for granted once you have them for a while... :oops:
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: Digital Consoles Ruined Me.

Postby macrae11 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:48 pm

Did it at least have a decent amount of groups, and or VCA's?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:48 am

It does at least have 8 VCAs which is a major part of operating these kind of gigs.

I don't think it's any harder for me to mix on an analog desk than it ever was, it's just that my expectations of what constitutes a good sounding show has changed since running a show with snapshot recall. All the little cheats I used to get away with are no longer good enough for my ear.

The selective recall in the PM5D is pretty much perfect for what I need. A wonderful tool, especially once you get your head around building a production quickly. I have yet to run a show like this on any other digital platform. I know it's only a matter of time 'til that changes.

I have 6 more performances of this production I'm working on. It's been an interesting reminder to say the least.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:38 am

You kicked bum, Malcolm. After you left tonight, L.D. was joking about writing a novel called "The Last Analog Console". I said that you could probably help with a chapter called "The Last Musical I'll Ever Mix On An Analog Console".
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Return to Sounds Good...