Stagehand's knowledge.... for performers!

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Stagehand's knowledge.... for performers!

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:50 am

From a suggestion by Al made HERE, this thread is about performers having a working knowledge of "the stage".

I'll start by saying, you can make your way through a long career in performing live, and remain ignorant about everything that goes on around you. I have met veteran performers who barely knew which way was up, let alone left and right. That being said, I recommend what I call a "stagehand's" working knowledge for people who plan on performing live in any capacity.

I have had guitarists who didn't know how to plug in their own gear, and bass players who hadn't seen a direct box. I have had experienced vocalists who had to talk to the monitor tech through their music director because they didn't know how to conduct their own monitor check.

You can make your experiences as a performer far more enjoyable by learning about what goes into making the show happen from a technical standpoint. You will learn how to get what you need out of set ups, and how not to waste time on things that don't matter as much as what you may now think.

As well, nothing will make a stage crew happier than a performer who walks confidently on stage and can take care of them self. A happy crew will go the extra mile for you, and make your time on stage the best that it can be. On the other hand getting in the way or demanding things from an already overworked crew will get you nowhere.

When you can, hang out with experienced techs and ask them about what they are doing. When you are performing, and someone does something, ask why. Better techs will take the time to answer your questions, when they have the time. When I can't right then, I will make a point to go back to the person later on and explain.

If you can set up your own gear following direction from the stage manager or sound tech, place mics/DIs and conduct sound check for yourself, you will be more valuable than some of the lesser enlightened players.

This is one of those things where you don't need to be able to do sound for a band, and know everything about everything. You just need to know enough to make yourself useful, and more than just someone who waits to have their hand held.

Some of our friends who visit here and perform a fair bit will have some to add to this I'm sure.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Alain Benoit » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:32 am

To quote a gifted local musician, "Hey brother can I borrow a 'Jack Cord' ".
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby weatherstation audio » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:58 pm

U1176 wrote:"Hey brother can I borrow a 'Jack Cord' ".

That is #1 on my pet peeve list:

It always mystifies me when musicians assume that the audio tech(s) will provide all guitar type patch cords to the DI's, they don't seem to realize that this format of cabling (a simple unbalanced 1/4" male to 1/4" male) hardly exist in any modern P.A. set-up of today ?

And a clean stage is the other one...?

I often have said:
"Hey ! let's try to keep the stage clean... do you want your featured artist to violently trip over a cable in the dark, just 2 seconds before they are slated for center stage performance ?"
"sweet songs never last too long on a broken radio"
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby Alain Benoit » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:21 pm

weatherstation audio wrote:
U1176 wrote:"Hey brother can I borrow a 'Jack Cord' ".

That is #1 on my pet peeve list:

It always mystifies me when musicians assume that the audio tech(s) will provide all guitar type patch cords to the DI's, they don't seem to realize that this format of cabling (a simple unbalanced 1/4" male to 1/4" male) hardly exist in any modern P.A. set-up of today ?

The thing is, in my experience they get pretty indignant when told none are available. Their typical response is "You mean to tell me with all these miles of wires you dont got a single cord?". They then stay grumpy cause they figure I'm bonin' them on purpose.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:42 pm

To me, a guitar player showing up without enough instrument cables is like a drummer showing up without enough cymbal stands. Should I have some spare ones of those too?
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Alain Benoit » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:20 pm

Yeah I usually keep a couple ride cymbals on hand for those guys.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby weatherstation audio » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:33 am

that reminds me,

I saw somebody convert a cymbal stand to a mic stand with the boom and all... it worked and it looked quite groovy ! 8-)
"sweet songs never last too long on a broken radio"
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby Jef » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:31 am

A big part of the quality of a show has to do with the the mood of the performers. This is a fact of life and will never change. In my experiences, it will get you a lot further if you can 'suck it up' and find the star guitar player an instrument cable he can borrow.
Instead of lecturing the talent about what their responsibilities should be, do these little extras for them and you become the hero for saving the day and they will put on a much better show.
If there are issues that you need to address, do it after the show and make it sound like you are really genuinely concerned about the show and offering some helpful advice. Like for instance "Not all sound companies stock instrument cables, maybe you should bring yours with you to the next gig, you were lucky I had one..."
Of course, I am referring to doing shows for people you have never worked with before. The ones that know me, I have already educated ..somewhat.
(...my .02¢)
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Alain Benoit » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:07 pm

Jef wrote:If there are issues that you need to address, do it after the show and make it sound like you are really genuinely concerned about the show and offering some helpful advice. Like for instance "Not all sound companies stock instrument cables, maybe you should bring yours with you to the next gig, you were lucky I had one..."
Of course, I am referring to doing shows for people you have never worked with before. The ones that know me, I have already educated ..somewhat.
(...my .02¢)

Yeah that's pretty much what I do.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby oddioguy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:09 pm

Jef wrote:....The ones that know me, I have already educated ..somewhat.
(...my .02¢)

You have to bear in mind that they are still musicians. :twisted:
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby roachie » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:05 pm

Hey, can I get more of ME in HIS monitor??!!
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Alain Benoit » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:28 pm

roachie wrote:Hey, can I get more of ME in HIS monitor??!!

HA! :lol:
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby sammyp » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:53 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:To me, a guitar player showing up without enough instrument cables is like a drummer showing up without enough cymbal stands. Should I have some spare ones of those too?

but Malcolm, don't forget, some guitar players show up to the gig intensely prepared often able to supply two or more of the same stomp box enabling added tonal clarity or disclarity.....i'm thinking boss compressors at this point!
Sonar, PT, Sound Forge
sammyp

Postby oddioguy » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:15 am

^ Ha!....for a while I used to lug 2 amps with me....just in case...
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby oddioguy » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:19 am

Jef wrote: ....if you can 'suck it up' and find the star guitar player an instrument cable he can borrow....

...all these years, man. All these years... :twisted:

:lol:
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Return to Sounds Good...