Mac book pro?

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Mac book pro?

Postby dylanger » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:04 pm

So I purchased a Apogee Symphony I/O and I'd like to get a Mac Book pro and the Thunderbridge to get the best performance out of the Symphony that I can afford. I'm trying to save for school so I'm trying to a be a little tighter with my money. I'm stuck between the 13" 2.6GHz Duo Core and the 15" 2.4GHz Quad Core. I'm by far a computer geek, I know that Quad Core is better than Duo Core, I'm assuming that 2.6 GHz is better than 2.4 GHz. Does the 2.6 GHz compensate a great deal for not having the Quad Core? This compueter will pretty much only be a School/Recording laptop.

I bought the 16 analog in / 16 analog out and the 8 channel preamp module. Will the duo core be able to handle this?

For the extra $500 am I getting a waaayyyyy better computer?

Thanks a bunch,

Dylan
dylanger
Silver Member

Re: Mac book pro?

Postby macrae11 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:51 am

the 15" will be significantly better. The larger screen will be much easier to work on than the 13". I have a 13" for travel but I hate working on it. The dual core would handle 16IO no problem, and would work fine for school work. For recording the 15" will be much more pleasant to work on and won't bog down as fast. Only you can decide if that's worth $500 to you.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Re: Mac book pro?

Postby Jef » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:36 pm

If there is not a lot of difference in the price, the quad core would be better. Even though it specs a slower clock speed (not by much), the Affinity process will utilize all cores whenever it can. On my rig (I have the Intel i7 980X - 6 core processor w/12 threads) I know first hand more cores are better. I noticed it most when rendering video files, what used to take 30 minutes to render on my old rig takes about 5 minutes now.

Also, don't skimp on the RAM... more is better.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Return to Sounds Good...