Subwoofer Bandpass

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Subwoofer Bandpass

Postby Alain Benoit » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:58 pm

LW, BW or Bessel and why.
Also what slopes and why.

A.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Re: Subwoofer Bandpass

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:38 am

Honestly most of the time I just set crossovers by ear without even knowing/checking what the slopes are. I'm not setting up huge PAs though, mostly just stuff for my own use that I need to sound right to me. Usually a first or second order slope as long as all the components have a reasonable amount of wiggle room around the crossover frequency and are in phase. If you've got less than ideal components I'll go with a steeper slope to compensate. I think Butterworth is the tightest filter? I could be remembering that wrong and/or have no idea what I'm talking about.

Having fun playing with your new amps?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Re: Subwoofer Bandpass

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:07 pm

No specific preferences here. Start with manufacturer spec and go from there. If I'm in a situation where there isn't a "spec", chances are I don't have a choice anyway. I'm far more likely to move frequencies by ear than slopes VS the "specification". That being said, if something isn't working, I will flip through options and hear what's preferable. Something, in my experience, that can be a factor in slope working for or against you is when components are severely mismatched. The differences become hugely obvious.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Return to Sounds Good...