Thoughts on Compression

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

How much do you use compression?

Only When Tracking
No votes
Only When Mixing
50%
Tons of squish (tastefully of course)
33%
None if I can help it
17%
Pumpin and Breathing
No votes
Can't hear compression(Don't be shy, most people couldn't at some point)
No votes

Total votes : 6

Thoughts on Compression

Postby macrae11 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:46 pm

Well i've been reading up a bunch on Michael Brauer's ABCD compression techniques www.mbrauer.com/articles/tapeop.asp?pp=1
and i'm becoming totally obsessed with using compressors(and any gear for that matter) in ways that i never thought of using it before. I mean i've used parrallel compression lots but this type of complex system just fascinates me. Supposedly it doesn't work the same when working ITB but that's not going to stop me from experimenting.

I've also recently had the pleasure of tracking with the Cranesong STC-8 http://www.cranesong.com/stc8.html at Fluid Audio Group, and have fallen in love with compression again. It opens up new avenues of processing that make it a real pleasure to work with. I can't wait to try it out in the ABCD context.

Anywho i was just starting this thread as a way to share some experience from different people about compression(or any type of processng). I love trying new ideas out, and i always find that my mixes can get so much fresher with external input.
Always nice to have a few new tricks in the bag.

Share away!
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby weatherstation audio » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:54 pm

Well... my newly acquired Studer analog console has compressors built in to every subgroup and master section.... 12 total, onboard !

so it's just a matter of time before I try the Michael Brauer's ABCD thingy.
"sweet songs never last too long on a broken radio"
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby weatherstation audio » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:56 pm

Oh... I forgot to mention,

cascading compression is also a great technique during tracking etc... the real nice compressor works in this manner, and that's why is sounds the way it sounds on the 'really nice' mode.
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:44 pm

Your poll options confused me, but I voted none the less.

I use compression. Sometimes lots, sometimes a little, sometimes none.

When tracking and mixing "out of the box" I wouldn't have feared compressing "to tape". Since I have been recording entirely in a DAW, I have lost the need to process "going to tape".

My latest compression addiction is multiband compression, used instead of EQ where I would have in the past. The tool wasn't so readily available before working with good plugs in a DAW.

I've never been afraid to aggressively compress or limit if the source asked for it. I've even distorted tracks using aggressive compression instead of a "distortion" or "overdrive" device, especially vocals.

Like every other tool, for me, the source dictates what I will do. Compressing for "level" is only a small percentage of what you can do.

A little off topic.... In a live mix, I will use compression on many, many channels to get things to stick together. Sometimes just "kissing" the threshold is all that you need to do to get things to happen.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Jef » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:55 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:My latest compression addiction is multiband compression, used instead of EQ where I would have in the past. The tool wasn't so readily available before working with good plugs in a DAW.

Yes, yes I agree. This is a very nice little tool, and if you watch the spectrum analyzer at the same time it takes a little of the guesswork out of narrowing it down to a specific frequency that needs to be compressed.

Malcolm Boyce wrote:...Sometimes just "kissing" the threshold is all that you need to do to get things to happen.

Uh huh... just shaving a couple dB's off of the peaks sometimes is all it needs to 'smooth' it out.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby weatherstation audio » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:56 pm

When it comes to mixing live though... I often abuse the compression way more than in a recording project... but I find mixing live is entirely different beast altogether... and similar applications don't necessarily translate the same in both worlds.
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:24 pm

Does anyone else use multiple compressors in series on a single source.
Recently i've been using 2-3 compressors paticularly on vocals. Each unit isn't pulling much but they are each doing there own thing. 1st one grabs the peaks and tames them down some, 2nd one is for some gentle squish, often a multiband, and the 3 would sometimes be a limiter for a more aggressive track to really make it punch.

Usually each unit is pulling only about 2-5 dbs each, but the combination really thickens up a part.

I've been using mostly waves plugs, Rvox and c4 with an occansional L3, but i can't wait to get my LA-4's back from repair to throw them into the mix.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:31 pm

weatherstation audio wrote:... but I find mixing live is entirely different beast altogether... and similar applications don't necessarily translate the same in both worlds.
Two completely different things. Almost unrelated.
macrae11 wrote:Does anyone else use multiple compressors in series on a single source.
I recently mixed a project with three compressors in series on bass. The wonders of the tools at hand.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby weatherstation audio » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:14 pm

macrae11 wrote:Does anyone else use multiple compressors in series on a single source.

yeah, me !

I mean... that's what I meant by cascading compressors.
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:10 am

Cascading is so much more.... more.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby weatherstation audio » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:28 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Cascading is so much more.... more.

??

My example on cascading refers roughly to the FMR method or design.

on my first Googl'ing, I found this statemant:

The RNC features two very different operational modes — Normal and Super Nice — which is another way of saying you get two types of compressors in one. In Normal mode, the RNC functions as a standard hard-knee, peak-response compressor. Normal mode is best for compressing individual instruments, particularly when you need to really clamp down on a sound or want to intentionally create artifacts such as pumping and breathing.

When set to Super Nice mode, the RNC engages three cascading compression stages that use aspects of peak-, average-, and RMS-sensing technologies. All of the controls still function — Super Nice mode isn't a preset — but they affect the sound more subtly. This mode takes a much gentler approach and was designed to be particularly effective on program material. However, it also works well on many individual instruments and on any source for which smooth, transparent compression is desirable. Surprisingly, even with three compressors chained together, the RNC in Super Nice mode is still remarkably quiet.

perhaps this is what Mr McRae was trying to achieve with multiple compressors in series... ?
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:40 pm

I just think cascading sounds way cooler than just saying "in series".

They should trademark that before everyone starts using it.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Jef » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:53 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:I just think cascading sounds way cooler than just saying "in series".

'compounding' would probably be a more accurately descriptive word.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby weatherstation audio » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:12 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:I just think cascading sounds way cooler than just saying "in series".

They should trademark that before everyone starts using it.

Oh... I get it now,

Humour is sometimes hard to desiffer on this interwebby thingy...
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:13 pm

Jef wrote:

'compounding' would probably be a more accurately descriptive word.
OK...

I just think cascading sounds way more compounding than just saying "in series".

;-)

When Marc mentioned "cascading" I had no idea what he meant. When Andrew mentioned placing multiple compressors "in series", everyone knew what he meant.

I like when new terms arise by way of a given manufacturer to jazz something up...

Cascading!
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:34 am

weatherstation audio wrote:perhaps this is what Mr McRae was trying to achieve with multiple compressors in series... ?
I know in my recent trial of "stacking" multiple compressors on a bass track, I was going for something dramatic, and was trying different things. Aggressive compression with just one was just making the sound thin and over compressed, but spreading the effect over several compressors was just the thing I was going for. I know I really didn't put much thought into what each effect was doing, I just wanted something aggressive, AND huge.

The result is very dramatic, and a BIG sound. It ended up being a tone that makes the mix happen. A bass sound worthy of being a focus of the mix... Not always easy for bass gtr.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:54 am

Friggin right! I'm going to use the word cascading for everything now.
"I'm just going to cascade my Boss guitar pedals together" HA!
Everyone will think I'm so cool.
Except everyone knows that i'm not.

Anyways that's cool Marc, i might just have to pick up an RNC just for that. They're only like $200 so why not.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby weatherstation audio » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:36 pm

macrae11 wrote:Former Musicstop minion

have you heard the news ?
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:53 am

I have and i'm very excited. We might actually get some pro audio on the east coast
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:25 am

macrae11 wrote:I have and i'm very excited. We might actually get some pro audio on the east coast
Whatcha talking about?

Yeah, I'm nosey...
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Alain Benoit » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:45 pm

Russ is selling the chain to Long & McQuade.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Return to Sounds Good...