What's the Difference??

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

What's the Difference??

Postby Butler » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:15 pm

Can anyone tell me the difference between a Shure Beta 87A and a Shure Beta 87C??

Merci.
Butler

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:38 pm

The basic difference is the "A" is a Supercardioid polar pattern, and the "C" is a basic Cardioid. This translates to the "A" being more directional in rejecting sound from the sides and rear of the pattern. They have been designed in this being the only difference, but in practice they do have slightly different sounds as well, but both are very similar and sound the same to most untrained ears.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Butler » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:40 pm

So, if it were to be used primarily as an on stage vocal mic, you would recommend.....
Butler

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:48 pm

That would depend somewhat on style of voice and music, but overall, the "A" would be the one. A situation where off axis rejection wouldn't be a factor the "C" would be a better choice for someone who likes to play away from the mic.

The "A" is a more common mic on stage. In fact the Beta87A is probably the most common condenser vocal mic on stages these days, not just between the two.

Have you compared the Beta87 with the Beta58? The Dynamic Beta58 is the more useful "live" mic in most situations. I would recommend an A/B comparison between these two before purchasing either one.

If this is for "Live use"... Why in the "Recording" forum? ;-)
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Butler » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:51 pm

Butler wrote:So, if it were to be used primarily as an on stage vocal mic, you would recommend.....

Sorry.... please don't ban me. :lol:
Butler

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:56 pm

I'll let it go this time...

The Beta87 is a fab vocal mic, and like most Shure product, it holds up to use and abuse. It would work well as a live mic, and a recording vocal mic, especially the "A" for scratch vocals when tracking bed tracks.

Roach has used them a lot, and could give you another opinion on them from a performer's perspective.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby roachie » Thu May 03, 2007 1:29 pm

I love'em, but if you're used to 58's onstage, be ready to change your mic technique a bit, cause they do feel different... sound awseome though.
roachie
Sean Roach

Return to Sounds Good...