moved; sequencers and mics

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

moved; sequencers and mics

Postby sammyp » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:06 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
Glad you made your way here.

I believe that the current DAWs all do an excellent job of what they are designed to do. This is also in part because of the stable environments that they are running in, be it OS or newer hardware/drivers. I know my XP rig is super stable, and my MOTU drivers are rock solid.

Sound wise, the "project studio" grade stuff outperforms the best digital had to offer 15 years ago. And that's across the board, regardless of manufacturer.

I'm currently getting users of different platforms up to speed with transfering projects and files between studios. There are definately easy, and hard ways to do it. Once again, it's so easy to pass tracks around on CDR, Flash Sticks, hard drives... you name it. To say nothing of FTP servers...

I don't even know what a multiple host sequencer is... Embarassed

Doh, i worded that wrong. Too many ales me thinks! What i was trying to ask is - how many are proficient with more than one audio/midi sequencer? On a different topic, what would you suggest my next mic purchase be. Currently i have 2 Groove Tube AM51 Large Di Cond's handling vocals/overheads, 2 57's, 1 beta 58, and a sen kick/bass mic. I'm thinking of a pair of small Di condensors or a stronger dynamic. Rode NT5's, Rode XY NT4, beta 57, sen 421.
Sonar, PT, Sound Forge
sammyp

Mics...

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:06 pm

Where do you think you have a need for a different kind of mic? What I mean is, do you have a task that you can't get a good result from your current mic selection? That can help narrow down your possible choices.

You can't go wrong with adding a pair of SDCs to your little family of mics. The NT5s are very cool, and prices very well. The AT3031 is another choice that is often overlooked. Even the MXL 603s and the newer 604 are excellent bang for the buck.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby oddioguy » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:24 am

My AKG C3000 gets used for just about every situation that pops up. works well on acoustic, electric, and vox.

Anybody else tried a D112 for close micing guitar cabs? Beefy....
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:39 pm

Never used a D112 for cabs. D12E, 421, both common bass amp mics, both great on guitar cabs.

The D112 and all the "kick drum" mics that have come after it do little for me in the way of versatility. I find them to be incredibly scooped out, for little, but a good bass instrument sound.

That being said, I like to experiment as much as the next guy when given the time...
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Return to Sounds Good...