any good new albums that aren't loud?

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:49 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:I still think John Mayer is your ultimate roll model, as far as that whole picking up the chicks thing. He just seems to do it with such impunity.

I agree, I'm still better at it. That is what I meant. I wasn't implying that I could play or sing better than him, but the chicks? I can do circles around that youngin'... Y'see no one asked me to define my parameters for "better".

Malcolm Boyce wrote:I would tend to agree. It took a turn some time ago when a new thread would probably have been warranted.

As the kids say... Whatev...

Fair enough, but I can't tell people to fluff off in yours and Andrews house. If this were in my house I'd have made a separate thread a while back. Then I would have let the chidren argue all day long. I would have even encouraged it by throwing in the odd inflamatory comment.

All this because I'm that dedicated to the service provided by this site to the public.

:-D
Last edited by Mathieu Benoit on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:53 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:Fair enough, but I can't tell people to fluff off on yours and Andrew's house. If this were in my house I'd have made a separate thread a while back. Then I would have let the chidren argue all day long. I would have even encouraged it by throwing in the odd inflamatory comment.

All this because I'm that dedicated to the service provide by this site to the public.

:-D
This site does a pretty good job of staying moderate. IMO, This thread is a good example of that. On many other sites, this kind of conversation would have degraded into foolishness and needed a lock down.

Once again, I thank you all for keeping this worthy of the time that everyone spends here.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:55 pm

It's the most moderate forum I've ever been on. There's a general sense of respect here, even when there are disagreements. It also helps that we all actually knwo each other in real life, for the most part...
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby dylanger » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:25 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oet_6eVKctg

this one, very very good band with hot sax chick. Iv already showed matt a while back.

And I know few people on here in real life. Maybe 7 or 8. But then again there's only about 12 of us that frequently post.
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:34 pm

dylanger wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oet_6eVKctg

this one, very very good band with hot sax chick. Iv already showed matt a while back.

Love the band; I'd totally fluff the girl. A++ Would watch again.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby clinton » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:34 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
So when you say there is "better" music out there if you care to search for it, it sounds as if you're saying you know what is better, which is wrong in it's suggestion based merely on the fact that it's an opinion.... and nothing more.

Music can be "better" in your opinion, but if you try and present it as something more finite than that, it has a negative connotation that smacks of "I know better than you do".

While the dialogue here is great, and typically runs it's course naturally as has this thread, I probably wouldn't stroll into a forum and say...

Are you guys talking about Paul Simon, 'cause if so... ewwwwwwwwww...

...but of course, as with music, different strokes for different folks.

This isn't meant to be a me rapping anyone's knuckles response, it's just something that I felt needed to be said.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Clinton would be of the opinion that music isn't supposed to be a competition. Saying some is "better" just seems counter to that.

Is it "better is in the eye of the beholder"?

I actually whole heartedly disagree with you in about 1000 different ways but I just don't have it in me to argue. I'm off to listen to that song about running through the halls of my high school....
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby clinton » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:58 pm

dylanger wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oet_6eVKctg

much preferred the Amy Whinehouse version...had that classic Stax sound
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:19 am

As far as I recall, this thread was about music with dynamics, so I have a suggestion to bring it back on topic. I am by no means an expert on this whole loudness war business and my understanding of mastering is fairly basic, but an album that I think is quite dynamic is Hey Rosetta's "Into Your Lungs (and around in your heart and on through your blood)." I know that when I listen to it in the car while traveling on the highway, I need to adjust the volume because of the difference in quiet and loud parts.
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:40 am

Crimson Chameleon wrote:As far as I recall, this thread was about music with dynamics, so I have a suggestion to bring it back on topic. I am by no means an expert on this whole loudness war business and my understanding of mastering is fairly basic, but an album that I think is quite dynamic is Hey Rosetta's "Into Your Lungs (and around in your heart and on through your blood)." I know that when I listen to it in the car while traveling on the highway, I need to adjust the volume because of the difference in quiet and loud parts.

+1. A very dynamic and awesome album. It's really got to be listened to on a proper system to appreciate it. I don't even listen to it in the car anymore because I just get annoyed at it! Instead I usually enjoy it under headphones or a controlled environment.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:04 am

It may make me unpopular but I don't really care for that much dynamic range. I appreciate a good amount of dynamic range but it has to be practical. I mostly listen to music in environments that would make that kind of dynamic range rather inconvenient.

Whereas I agree that dynamic range should not be killed all together, I still think it should be limited (no pun intended) to a certain extent.

The only music I want to listen to with a huge dynamic range is classical music. But for anything contemporary, I still prefer a reduced dynamic range.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:27 pm

I hear what you're saying, and I do agree. Into Your Lungs is right at the borderline of a comfortable dynamic range, if not slightly over the border, but the impact is so good that I don't even care. It's not background music. It's designed to force you to sit and listen, which I think is a good thing. So I won't put it on as often, but when I do, I find I get more out of it because you almost have to be into it.

Are you familiar with the album in question Matt?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:42 pm

No, but this conversation makes me want to go buy it now...

I feel that way about about classical music. When I listen to it, I'm really listening to it and I certainly appreciate the effect of the dynamic range in that context. I guess I'm so used to not listening to contemporary music in that setting that I may no longer appreciate the effect of it in that context.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Crimson Chameleon » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:52 am

macrae11 wrote:It's designed to force you to sit and listen, which I think is a good thing. So I won't put it on as often, but when I do, I find I get more out of it because you almost have to be into it.

I'm friends with the guys in the band and I'd say that is exactly what they were going for: to make you sit and listen!

My girlfriend's initial reaction to the album was that it was mastered poorly. I suggested to her that it wasn't, and that what she should do is stop listening to it on the highway and instead listen to it at home where it can be fully enjoyed.
Crimson Chameleon
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:02 pm

I wish my wife even knew what mastering is. Actually it's probably better this way.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:04 pm

macrae11 wrote:I wish my wife even knew what mastering is. Actually it's probably better this way.

At least you have a wife.

Although my girlfriend helps me assemble multipin connectors. It's pretty hot... I have the best girlfriend ever. She actually enjoys making cables.

EDIT: Oh, and she knows what mastering is, but mostly because I never shut up about everything...

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:09 pm

Yeah as soon as I start talking about that stuff I can just see her eyes glaze over.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby dylanger » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:31 pm

My girlfriend is getting better, someone said to me one day that he hated the sound of a fender stratocaster, my girlfriend who wasn't even involved the conversation spoke up and said " you really shouldn't of said that."
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:37 pm

You can drastically improve the tone of a Strat by getting rid of it a buying a Tele though.... Did she know that?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Nick H. » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:42 pm

Crimson Chameleon wrote:As far as I recall, this thread was about music with dynamics, so I have a suggestion to bring it back on topic. I am by no means an expert on this whole loudness war business and my understanding of mastering is fairly basic, but an album that I think is quite dynamic is Hey Rosetta's "Into Your Lungs (and around in your heart and on through your blood)." I know that when I listen to it in the car while traveling on the highway, I need to adjust the volume because of the difference in quiet and loud parts.

I agree, this is a great album!
Nick H.
Bronze Member

Postby dylanger » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:44 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:You can drastically improve the tone of a Strat by getting rid of it a buying a Tele though.... Did she know that?

strats were actually created to improve the tele....... I KNOW my fender history.
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:53 pm

dylanger wrote:
Drumwaiter wrote:You can drastically improve the tone of a Strat by getting rid of it a buying a Tele though.... Did she know that?

strats were actually created to improve the tele....... I KNOW my fender history.

So then do you know where they went wrong?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby clinton » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:25 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:
macrae11 wrote:I wish my wife even knew what mastering is. Actually it's probably better this way.

At least you have a wife.

Although my girlfriend helps me assemble multipin connectors. It's pretty hot... I have the best girlfriend ever. She actually enjoys making cables.

EDIT: Oh, and she knows what mastering is, but mostly because I never shut up about everything...

Your girlfriend is great Matt, I really like her. Does she know that we....you know, do it?
clinton
Gold Member

Postby clinton » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:28 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:
dylanger wrote:

this made me chuckle. A+ Matty!
clinton
Gold Member

Postby dylanger » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:33 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:
dylanger wrote:

1967 when they sold the company to CBS
dylanger
Silver Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:42 pm

dylanger wrote:
Drumwaiter wrote:
dylanger wrote:

1967 when they sold the company to CBS

So CBS turned the Strat into a boat anchor or made the Tele into the ultimate guitar? Or was it both? You'll have to forgive me as I don't know my Fender history...

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

PreviousNext

Return to Sounds Good...