Thoughts on Reverb

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Thoughts on Reverb

Postby macrae11 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:32 pm

Hey I'm just looking for some fresh ideas on reverb usage. What plugs/boxes is everyone using, what type of patches etc.

My setup is usually very similar. It usually involves anyware from 3 - 7 reverbs and delays.

First general room verb. Most things go to this at least a little bit. Not even really audible on most things, just a feel thing. Bring it up till you can just hear it then back off a little. This verb is usally a medium room, but sometimes ends up as a plate or hall in smaller sessions.

Early reflections verb. This one is usually a large hall or church, but with all the decay turned off and just the early reflections turned on. It's short (about 1/10 - 3/10 sec long) and just adds the feel of being in a space to solo instruments like vocals, guitar, glockenspiel.

Delay. setup as a quarter note or eigth note. Just the stock DIGI delay but then I EQ it and feed it back to itself so that every subsequent delay gets more EQ'd/effected. Helps with making the delay sound more organic. Goes on whatever needs it. Often vocals and rhythm guitars.

Those are usually my starting points, and then I might work in a vocal plate for some glassy type verb, or a plate for drums. Also another delay is used, sometimes really short to kind of thicken things up or long to create an individual effect.

So what's everyone else doing? I'm using Waves IR1 almost exclusively. Beautiful convolution verb. Serious CPU hog, even for a reverb and especially at 96k
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:08 am

Hmmmmmmmmm..... Generally speaking... Never underestimate the value of different algorithms, read:"brands" of reverbs, to impact the way they layer in a mix. I always find I like the complexity of sauce from different boxes or plugs, instead of using 4 or 5 Lexicon, or 4 or 5 Waves reverbs in a track. It is important how they sound on the sources, but how they sound in the context with one another seems to be more distinctive when based on different "math"... digitally speaking.

That being said, I still rely on the Lexicon Pantheon, and Timeworks 4080L "Lexicon like" plugs, and an old stand by that I can't get away from, especially for rooms is an old DSP/FX plugin, for the StudioVerb and AcousticVerb.

Delays really depend on the tracks. I'll use any trick in the book, and even make some up.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:15 am

Oh yeah,,, Haven't touched Convolution stuff yet. Haven't had too. ;-)
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:40 am

The convolution plugs I've used are quite nice. Since I do a fair amount of post it's great when I can download a convolution for inside a pickup truck or a hockey rink for when weird ambiences come up. Would never use it in a music track, but it works awesome for post.

The different brand types of reverb is a good idea. Only I have lots of verbs to choose from, but not very many that I really like. Maybe I could use some of the crappier ones for weirder less natural sounding reverb.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:38 pm

Yeah, room tone is everything in post.

I definitely use some less "useful" verbs on stuff just for something different, to help it stand out. I find that going to the same well for layered effects like verbs can be a little unsatisfying. Of course, all generalizations are wrong.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby stosostu » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:50 pm

macrae11 wrote: Maybe I could use some of the crappier ones for weirder less natural sounding reverb.

That, in fact, is my complaint with most reverbs, both hard and soft. They have a zillion presets that bear no relation to the real world at all. Maybe it's my wish to 'reproduce' reality that limits my thinking but I hear some weird ass stuff coming fro reverbs.
The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
stosostu

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:41 pm

stosostu wrote:...my complaint with most reverbs, both hard and soft. They have a zillion presets that bear no relation to the real world at all. Maybe it's my wish to 'reproduce' reality that limits my thinking but I hear some weird ass stuff coming fro reverbs.
The "quality" of the reverb usually is how "natural" it can sound. Notice I say how it can sound because it's all in how you set it up with the source, and the mix. The quality of the algorithm or the "math" is what makes a great, useful reverb, which are usually the most "real" sounding.

For me, and a lot of people, sometimes "real" is not what I am looking for. We have all listened to great recordings made with early chamber/plate/spring verbs that were representations of "room" sounds. Now we use digital make ups of those types of sounds. Full circle we've come... In the end, we use what we like, not what sounds most "real".

Another thing that popped into my mind is people who recently started slagging plugin reverbs vs. hardware reverbs. The only problem with that is, unless you're talking about an analog reverb device, "hardware" reverbs, and plugins are exactly the same, except with most hardware boxes, you get an extra set A/D, D/A at no extra charge! Arguing hardware digital reverb VS. plugins is about as dumb as things can get.

I'm waiting for a dedicated piece of hardware for live use that you can load third party plugs for FX, instead of using whatever you end up with live. Something 4 in 8 out, analog and toslink or spidif I/O Then Yamaha can sell us plug versions of our fav SPX and REV rooms, or Lexicon can give us PCM 70, or better yet 480L presets. ;-)
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Alain Benoit » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:46 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
I'm waiting for a dedicated piece of hardware for live use that you can load third party plugs for FX, instead of using whatever you end up with live. Something 4 in 8 out, analog and toslink or spidif I/O Then Yamaha can sell us plug versions of our fav SPX and REV rooms, or Lexicon can give us PCM 70, or better yet 480L presets. ;-)

Nice thought. Just wait a little while.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Return to Sounds Good...