Duplication, Replication, Copying...

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Duplication, Replication, Copying...

Postby macrae11 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:10 pm

Thom's thread in the coffee shop got me thinking about this.

Where does everyone get their duplication done? Just curious as I don't know of to many other large scale duplication facilities around here. Are most people doing small runs in house?(say 100 or less) Or are you outsourcing all duplication?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Jef » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:06 pm

Chris Gay has a business called Sound Expressions and Express Duplication. http://www.expressduplication.com/
He is Located in Lake Utopia. I do some work there occasionally as an associate engineer but he looks after all the duplicating business. Check out his website or you can call him at (506) 755-6140.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby macrae11 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:31 pm

Yes I actually know Chris. I've been to his studio once and had a bit of duplication done through him before. I didn't realize he did large scale duplication like we do.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:03 pm

macrae11 wrote:... large scale duplication like we do.
What quantity would be "large scale duplication?"

What are the common uses for duplicated discs as opposed to replicated? Are folks having full commercial releases duplicated, or just demo type things? Just curious.

I would be iffy on having a commercial project released on a CDR, where I wanted it to be around years into the future for all to enjoy. I just think it's the least you can do after the work and money that goes into most projects.

I notice there are firms advertising "replication" that are actually just set up as middle men making their cut. It's important to make sure you are dealing with who you think you are dealing with.

Reminds me of a music store I heard of that used to do repair work "in house" until a friend had an issue with them, and found out that almost all their work went to a third party who was more than happy to deal direct.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Jef » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:15 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:...I notice there are firms advertising "replication" that are actually just set up as middle men making their cut. It's important to make sure you are dealing with who you think you are dealing with...

If you are still referring to Chris' facility, he offers both duplication and replication. The replicated disks are outsourced and he informs all of his clients of this.

Malcolm Boyce wrote:What are the common uses for duplicated discs as opposed to replicated? Are folks having full commercial releases duplicated, or just demo type things? Just curious.
I would be iffy on having a commercial project released on a CDR, where I wanted it to be around years into the future for all to enjoy. I just think it's the least you can do after the work and money that goes into most projects.

If the project is more in the amateur to semi-pro range and is mainly for demo purposes, the less expensive CDR which can be played on about every computer or CD player might be a better choice. If it is a professional project that will be marketed and possibly submitted for airplay, then replicated disks are definitely the way to go.
As I understand it, most radio stations in the US are not permitted to play CDRs.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby macrae11 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:02 am

Here's a question just to clear up terminology. Do you guys consider duplication = CD-R and replication = Red Book printed CD. Just curious because I've not used that terminology before. Traditionally duplication and replication are synonmus and mean the same thing.

Malcolm Boyce wrote:What quantity would be "large scale duplication?"

Large scale duplication is considered anything over 500 copies and is done at a proper pressing plant. 500 is the minimum number of discs these plants will produce. Anyone in the Maritimes who offers duplication on this scale is outsourcing as there are no CD/DVD pressing plants in the Maritimes. Generally speaking all commercial releases are duplicated at one of these plants.

Jef wrote:the less expensive CDR

This is a fairly common misconception. Granted 10 CD-R's is cheaper than 500 pressed CD's, but the cost per unit is much higher with CD-R's. The cost of 250 CD-R's will come close to buying you 500 pressed CD's. And as Malcolm implied these are of a higher quality and will last longer. So anyone who is planning on selling even 300 CD's will generally get a proper red book CD pressed. A common thing small run CD-R's are used for are things like press kits, or pre runs that need to be out before the product can be returned from Toronto.

Malcolm Boyce wrote:I notice there are firms advertising "replication" that are actually just set up as middle men making their cut.

This is true of most duplicators in the Maritimes. Since there are no duplication plants here most companies out here work as brokers between the different plants to try and get the best price. You can sometimes contact the plant directly and bypass the middle man, but often there are specific requirements paticualrly in the graphics department, that can be tricky to deal with, and so having someone experienced in dealing with the plants can be a big help. Also sometimes they can get the pressing done for cheaper if they combine several projects on one order.

We're a little bit different in that respect. We are the exclusive Maritime contact for Sony DADC which is the division of Sony that handles duplication among other things. We handle all replication orders under 100,000 copies per year for anywhere in the Maritimes. So if someone calls Sony directly from Halifax to get 5000 copies made, they direct them to us. We kind of act like their Maritime office.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:52 am

Common usage:

Duplication = CDR
Replication = Proper Audio CD

Be very careful of the terms.

Duplication is, I gave you a CDR and you made more of them.

Replication is, I gave you a CDR and you made copies of a different kind of them.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:59 am

Jef wrote:If you are still referring to Chris' facility, he offers both duplication and replication. The replicated disks are outsourced and he informs all of his clients of this.
I wasn't referring to any facility in particular.
Jef wrote:If it is a professional project that will be marketed and possibly submitted for airplay, then replicated disks are definitely the way to go.
As I understand it, most radio stations in the US are not permitted to play CDRs.
I don't understand where that "rule" would come from.

Once again, if I were printing an audio CDR, it would be for demo, reference, or promo purposes only. Anything I was expecting to last more than a year would be made into a proper CD.
macrae11 wrote: A common thing small run CD-R's are used for are things like press kits, or pre runs that need to be out before the product can be returned from Toronto.
Perfect example of what I'm talking about.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:34 pm

I am wondering how much playing of cd's in a player happens at any radio stations other than campus or community stations.
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby macrae11 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:04 pm

Isdeville wrote:I am wondering how much playing of cd's in a player happens at any radio stations other than campus or community stations.

Yeah not much. Every radio station i've been in in the last 5 years were all ripping any CD's they got and playing mp3's.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Return to Sounds Good...