Local "Studios"... Inquiries about recording?

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Local "Studios"... Inquiries about recording?

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:05 pm

So I was reading a thread in "another local forum" and someone said that:
Affordable recording barely exists...
They were talking about a new local facility with rates by the "song" and "track". I was wondering if that means stereo or mono track... :roll: but anyway...

This got me thinking about how little "cold" inquiries I get about information including rates for recording. I'm talking about calls or e-mails just to ask and nothing else.

There seems to be a lack of understanding about what there is to offer from the locals, and an even bigger lack of interest to find out. I was curious to see if I'm the only one tired of hearing about there being no way to record on a budget locally, when that's most of what we all do here. Not only that, but I don't even get asked what rates are... so how do they even know what the local market offers?
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:17 pm

I wish I could charge by the 'track' " Hey let's throw a few more guitar doubles on there why don't we."

This type of talk probably doesn't affect me as much, since we're charging more at the higher end of the spectrum for this area. However I do get these types of calls sometimes, and generally there are two responses when I tell someone how much it is to record: Either "Ok that sounds good, I'm gonna talk to the people in the band and see what they think."

Or "You charge how much?!? that's crazy! I find many people have different ideas of what is "affordable". Most who've been in a band or played at all seriously have some kind of idea what the gear costs and the knowledge required to produce a quality recording. How many times though, when you tell someone your rate is $x/hr, you get back, "Well I've got about 40 minutes of music, so it should take about 1.5 hrs, 2 hrs tops right?"

Or when there's guys out there charging $50/song, it really devalues the craft.

Another example, a lady called me asking about editing some video. She wanted to edit 3 hrs of home movies together, and I told her we could do it for $150. She thought that was ludicrus. And when I told her that it would take a minimum of 4 hrs and our normal video editing rate is $200/hr, she seemed even less impressed.

I get frustrated with people who are expecting amazing production for whatever budget they decide they want to spend. Don't get me wrong, we do lots of budget stuff, but we're very clear up front, about the level of product they're going to get for the money they want to spend.

I think we're probably also fairly lucky, because we're one of the more well established studios in NB. We have a lot of repeat customers, who've been doing records here for 15, 20 or 25 years, so they know what our rates and services generally are.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Re: Local "Studios"... Inquiries about recording?

Postby Alain Benoit » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:48 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:.....tired of hearing about there being no way to record on a budget locally, when that's most of what we all do here.

Budget recording is what is done throughout the maritimes.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby weatherstation audio » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:54 pm

U1176 wrote:
Malcolm Boyce wrote:.....tired of hearing about there being no way to record on a budget locally, when that's most of what we all do here.

Budget recording is what is done throughout the maritimes.

this brings an interesting but legitimate question,

what maritime studio or producer has been commissioned to record an album by a big label with big budget ?
"sweet songs never last too long on a broken radio"
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:31 pm

weatherstation audio wrote:what maritime studio or producer has been commissioned to record an album by a big label with big budget ?
I would have to say that "big budget" is still very open to interpretation. Some of the things being cut at Sonic Temple are "big budget" for the Canadian market.

The industry has gone through such a shift that budgets for recordings are very different from a couple of decades ago. There are still some big money projects, but the great percentage of albums are being done on a way tighter lead.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Alain Benoit » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:06 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:The industry has gone through such a shift that budgets for recordings are very different from a couple of decades ago. There are still some big money projects, but the great percentage of albums are being done on a way tighter lead.

Very true indeed.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:00 am

macrae11 wrote:However I do get these types of calls sometimes, and generally there are two responses when I tell someone how much it is to record: Either "Ok that sounds good, I'm gonna talk to the people in the band and see what they think."

Or "You charge how much?!? that's crazy! I find many people have different ideas of what is "affordable".

This is what I was getting at. I don't receive many "cold" queries or people contacting me, from no prior knowledge, asking about rates. I wouldn't consider this odd if I didn't hear about budget being such a big factor for artists, and about how no where local can service some of these acts within their budget.

I would be happy to be turning people away based on being too expensive. I know that I don't have published rates, but I don't get a lot of contacts looking for rates. People are either too lazy, or too stupid.

Is this yet another "maritime" problem with our little industry?
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:55 pm

I wanted to re-visit this posting. As it's something that has been of great interest to me as of late.

It seems to me that our target demographic, for the most part, is unorganized and financially challenged. That's not to say that all are, nor to say that I'm casting any particular judgment on those people. However many people can't afford what is otherwise a fair compensation for the services provided.

Of course that doesn't mean those in the industry should undercut themselves. On the contrary, I feel the clients should have more resources. However, I'm wondering if it's possible to improve this situation, or is this just another idle discussion.

Any suggestions as to what might help this situation? The more resourceful the clients can get, the work work we all have at our fair rates. Worth thinking about...
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:08 pm

Mathieu wrote:It seems to me that our target demographic, for the most part, is unorganized and financially challenged.
I'd suggest 5% financially challenged, 95% disorganized.

Most calls for recording work that I get, money is one of the lower priorities, as it should be. I would understand if I were getting more calls just requesting rates, given the circumstances you're talking about, but I don't, and that's what I'm curious about.

Hopefully having a community like this forum as a resource about serious local recordists can help people realize what they have at their fingertips.

I'm interested in growing the scene here in anyway I can. It's always kinda lame when people don't know what's going on right under their noses.

BTW, thanks for joining in Matt...
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:24 am

Glad to be aboard Malcolm! I recently was given internet access at work so I'll likely be spending much time throwing my thoughts around your forum.

Well, I suppose I'm coming from a bit of a different perspective than a lot of you. Although u1176 and I obviously work under the same roof, the clients that we actually handle in each of our "departments" are quite different. I mostly do film/TV composition these days, however, when I have the time in the new year to take on more clients, I'd love the opportunity to do more "demos" and preproduction stuff with artist. This is something that I not only enjoy, but something that can offer me a chance to develop my skills as a recordist.

My question lately has been more a matter of rates though, I'm contemplating different rates for different types of services. This is obviously a decision that u1176 and I will need to discuss when he returns from work. As we have to reach a decision that is fair,equitable, and agreed upon by both. I'm still open to comments and suggestions.

Should preproduction, on my "little" rig cost the client the same as full production would cost a client using the full facility. It hasn't really come up as a problem yet with me. I just wanted to make a decision before January when I retire from the Phoenix, and start working at the studio on a more full-time basis.

Does anyone else have different rates for different situations? Or is the general consensus, a blanket rate for everything?
Last edited by Mathieu Benoit on Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:29 am

I realize that's a bit of a tangent from my previous post, but it also fits better under the subject title.
Refering to my first post though, would it be worth it for the studios to familiarize themselves with different funding programs to help artist fund their project? Weatherstation has done this in the past and I think it's great because it helps the client and himself. That is at least one way that we can help with the disorganized masses. BTW I agree....95% unorganized.
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby oddioguy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:27 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:...95% disorganized....

You're dealing with musicians. It's a given.
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:47 pm

Mathieu wrote:Does anyone else have different rates for different situations? Or is the general consensus, a blanket rate for everything?
Different rates for different situations/conditions.

Some services I offer have "book rates" to start, but anything is negotiable.

I would be surprised if it weren't the same for most of my contemporaries.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:22 pm

Some services I offer have "book rates" to start, but anything is negotiable.

Do you find that it becomes difficult, if there isn't a standardization though? I'd feel strange about offering different rates to different people though... based on theirn negotiation tactics, y'know?

I also have to stop mixing friends with business, but that's another thread entirely... :roll:

[new thread coming soon]
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to Sounds Good...