Mackie TT24 Digital Live Console

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Mackie TT24 Digital Live Console

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon May 29, 2006 7:08 pm

D&D Sound recently added the Mackie TT24 Digital Console to it's inventory, and I got to be the first to use the desk over the weekend at the Trade & Convention Center mixing Halifax band "Boys Next Door".

It's a powerful little rig in a small package. My first impression is that this will be a useful tool on the job for small to medium size gigs where footprint at FOH are a concern, and where you're trying to do a lot with a little. Lots of bells and whistles, AND it sounds good too!

The desk includes 24ch of ADAT optical I/O which will facilitate easy multitrack recordings of live shows for little more than live production costs.

I'll have some pics and such on my site when I get the time to do it up.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: Mackie TT24 Digital Live Console

Postby oddioguy » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:53 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:D&D Sound recently added the Mackie TT24 Digital Console to it's inventory, and I got to be the first to use the desk over the weekend at the Trade & Convention Center mixing Halifax band "Boys Next Door".

It's a powerful little rig in a small package. My first impression is that this will be a useful tool on the job for small to medium size gigs where footprint at FOH are a concern, and where you're trying to do a lot with a little. Lots of bells and whistles, AND it sounds good too!

The desk includes 24ch of ADAT optical I/O which will facilitate easy multitrack recordings of live shows for little more than live production costs.

I'll have some pics and such on my site when I get the time to do it up.

LD mentioned he was getting one in. How is it for navigating around in a hurry?..... More knobs than menu, or more menu than knobs?
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:56 pm

It lacks compared to any Yamaha I've used, but it's a lot of desk for the money. I wish it had a selected channel section of the control surface, instead of using the touch screen. The software seems to be pretty goofy, but they don't exactly have a great backround in digital consoles to draw upon.

So far everything I've heard through it has sounded great, especially for a Mackie.

It is a new product, and I hope they will be beating the software into shape as the users get some time on the desks. You can't beat the I/O for such a cheap desk.

I know I'll be using it a fair bit over the summer months, and I'll be sure to pass on what happens.

Oh, and as far as the more menu than surface thing... I mixed the first gig on it without cracking the manual, mostly because LD didn't have it, and managed to find everything, so it can't be too bad.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby weatherstation audio » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:18 pm

I forget... but does Lawrence's TT console come outifitted with the Firewire feed for PC multitracking ?
"sweet songs never last too long on a broken radio"
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:35 pm

weatherstation audio wrote:I forget... but does Lawrence's TT console come outifitted with the Firewire feed for PC multitracking ?
The tt24 has 24Ch of ADAT Lightpipe I/O for multi. No firewire. I like Lightpipe for the sake of it being self clocking, and impossible to transfer ground and the like.

The tt24 is the hot setup for multitracking something straight from the FOH desk. Haven't done one yet, but it's only a matter of time...
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby weatherstation audio » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:27 pm

sounds cool... I do have 2 x MOTU 2408 rigs outfitted with ADAT I/O lightpipe, so this would just require a PC for multitracking a mobile project... Hmmm, the wheels are a turnin'...
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:12 pm

When did you get the second 2408? What version are they?
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby weatherstation audio » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:38 pm

sniped a second one off ebay... both are the original 2408 Mark I ... they can be had at a fair price these days.
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:02 pm

Cool. I would like to get a 2nd Mark3 some day. That and a thousand other things... :-|
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby weatherstation audio » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:52 pm

Yes, the Mark III is nice... balanced analog in/outs... I think they fetch quite a bit more for that reason alone.

For some reason, I had it in my head that only 8 channels of ADAT lightpipe I/O was available on each MOTU 2408... now that I'm looking at it, I can do up to 24 I/O on each MOTU !... duh!

I think the TT24 would be a worthy match... when's LD getting a roadcase for that thing ?
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:01 pm

weatherstation audio wrote:Yes, the Mark III is nice... balanced analog in/outs... I think they fetch quite a bit more for that reason alone.
The Mark3 is 24bit as well.

weatherstation audio wrote:For some reason, I had it in my head that only 8 channels of ADAT lightpipe I/O was available on each MOTU 2408... now that I'm looking at it, I can do up to 24 I/O on each MOTU !... duh!

I think the TT24 would be a worthy match... when's LD getting a roadcase for that thing ?
I don't know, but I'll see it this weekend for the Salty Jam. :-)
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby weatherstation audio » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:58 am

Last Friday... I've finally took my maiden flight with the TT24 console. I mixed an acoustic/vocal duo, you know, something simple to get my feet wet... it's kinda weird to not have any racks of outboard stuff beside me anymore, just an Ipod shuffle as my outboard gear ?... the Mackie is very decent sounding console... I'd like to put it through it's paces a bit more though... decent sounding EQ's, gates and compression on all channels... crazy ! And spectators lookin' at me weird when they see flying faders... actually, that's my favorite feature on the console... whenever you get bored, just watch those motorized faders move from page to page mixes.

This Friday... start using the V-Pot option thingy more to my advantage.
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:05 am

weatherstation audio wrote:And spectators lookin' at me weird when they see flying faders... actually, that's my favorite feature on the console... whenever you get bored, just watch those motorized faders move from page to page mixes.
... And they're fun to shoot smarties with!
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby weatherstation audio » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:42 pm

great,
now I need to make a stop at a corner store and buy some smarties for this evening's gig...
weatherstation audio
Bronze Member

Postby Blake » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:26 pm

you can also use a pen for greater response
Blake

Return to Sounds Good...