assistance for local musicians!! do you qualify??? WTF???

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

assistance for local musicians!! do you qualify??? WTF???

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:52 pm

So I sometimes wonder if it's just me, but stuff like this pushes my buttons as one of the things wrong with this business. I found this posting on my favourite other local board, and right off the bat, the "Spam-Lure" title of the thread set me off, and then it got worse.

DBARR wrote:Radio Master recording studio offering rates of only $25 per hour.
Not trying to make a living. Just having fun working with local musicians. Perfect for local sale of cd's and demo's for major labels.
20 years experience dealing with major labels.

Also, looking for bands to manage and promote.

Contact Derrick @ 639-8907

Further down the page after I asked seriously:

gadget wrote:Do "Major Labels" in Canada still accept unsolicited "demos"?

DBARR wrote:At times major labels do accept demos. You need ro know who to contact. In a case that they don't accept demos, you must make sure you create a very large buzz. Indie labels quite often lead to the majors. This is where we may be able to help. Our rates are very low. We want to promote and assist local talent.

This pitch is wrong for so many reasons.

Before I go any further, does anyone else smell anything coming from this?
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:49 pm

I need assistance.. Can I call the number? I could have a lot of fun with this... :twisted:
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby roachie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:25 pm

Who's runnin' the joint?
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:26 pm

roachie wrote:Who's runnin' the joint?
D. Barr... The D of the former "D&H" music.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Alain Benoit » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:40 pm

Hope he has better luck with this than he did with his stores.

I believe he has been openned for a while since I've seen his studio listed on GC for a long while now.

I wish he had a website so one could peek at a client and gear list.

Also found this one while browsing that thread.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:27 pm

Alain Benoit wrote:Also found this one while browsing that thread.

The Rates

Recording and Mixing:
- Demos at $20 per song
- Single Tracks at $5 per track

Um... could someone please elaborate on what this means? Do people really charge their clients in this manner?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:38 am

Drumwaiter wrote:
The Rates

Recording and Mixing:
- Demos at $20 per song

Um... could someone please elaborate on what this means? Do people really charge their clients in this manner?
I'll answer the last question first... No one with any serious amount of experience.

And for the first question, it's pretty self explanatory. From what I've read, I really believe this guy has good intentions with his studio, and makes no bones about saying he's just doing it small time. Some of his promotion method leaves a little to be desired. I think he's got a real "day job" and does this as a musical outlet.

His assumption that the other guy has equally good intentions is, well, you know where I'm going...

This subject goes back to my post about people assuming that quality recording in this market is "expensive". They have no concept, because most of them haven't even asked for book rates. I know this about DBARR because he stresses how low his rates are for what he describes as "Not trying to make a living. Just having fun working with local musicians." I'd have a hard time asking for $25HR for "having fun". Who's having the fun? He is!

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby roachie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:21 am

I've always wanted to record in a "baseman".
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:09 am

roachie wrote:I've always wanted to record in a "baseman".
Spellcheck is your friend...

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:23 am

Cables:
- tones of XLR and 1/4 inch cables available.

Speaking of spellcheck... Malcolm what sort of "tone" variations can you get out of your cables? :-?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:32 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
Drumwaiter wrote:
The Rates

Recording and Mixing:
- Demos at $20 per song

I'll answer the last question first... No one with any serious amount of experience.

And for the first question, it's pretty self explanatory. From what I've read, I really believe this guy has good intentions with his studio, and makes no bones about saying he's just doing it small time. Some of his promotion method leaves a little to be desired. I think he's got a real "day job" and does this as a musical outlet.

His assumption that the other guy has equally good intentions is, well, you know where I'm going...

This subject goes back to my post about people assuming that quality recording in this market is "expensive". They have no concept, because most of them haven't even asked for book rates. I know this about DBARR because he stresses how low his rates are for what he describes as "Not trying to make a living. Just having fun working with local musicians." I'd have a hard time asking for $25HR for "having fun". Who's having the fun? He is!

I just found those rates really ambiguous. This sounds good though. When prospective clients are uncomfortable with our rates, I'm glad that I can offer them alternatives, at a very "competitive" rate.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:00 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:
Cables:
- tones of XLR and 1/4 inch cables available.

Speaking of spellcheck... Malcolm what sort of "tone" variations can you get out of your cables? :-?
...saw that one too... :oops:

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby clinton » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:33 pm

are you guys always like this? ...what's wrong with people doing what they can to make music? I applaud Dave at Headbanger Studios for offering affordable and fun recording experiences for those can't afford to go to the pros (which I guess must be you guys).
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:50 pm

clinton wrote:are you guys always like this? ...what's wrong with people doing what they can to make music? I applaud Dave at Headbanger Studios for offering affordable and fun recording experiences for those can't afford to go to the pros (which I guess must be you guys).

I agree with you. Like I said in my last statement, it's good that there are alternatives to facilities like ours that can be out of the budget range of some. This way people that need recording services but can't afford bigger studios still have a place to go.

I just found the rates a bit confusing and ambiguous.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:52 pm

clinton wrote:are you guys always like this? ...what's wrong with people doing what they can to make music? I applaud Dave at Headbanger Studios for offering affordable and fun recording experiences for those can't afford to go to the pros (which I guess must you guys).
Hey Clinton. I don't think he's doing anything wrong... except the spell check thing...

I'm assuming you were including me in your first line, so what exactly do you mean? I was commenting on DBARR's posting in a negative way, but with respect to "Headbanger" I believe he is doing something legit. In fact I would like to see someone like him here to hang with us. I would hope he would know about this place, and I would hope he would want to be part of the community.

I merely question DBARR's motives, based on the content of his message and the involvement in the community. I don't question "Headbanger's" motives, and I think he gives too much credit by giving kudos to DBARR for having the best interests of the local music scene at heart.

Tell Headbanger Dave to join us... I'm sure Andrew would agree that we'd love to have him here.

BTW, I'm stupid affordable, and "PRO", so you can get a two for one if you're interested... Mind you, not $25/Song... What if it's a really BIG song? Also, as has been mentioned here before, "budget" recording is what is done in this market... even at the "higher end" of the scale.

I'm so glad you joined in here Clinton... You've got your finger on the pulse, and you're not afraid to talk about it. Thanks for popping in.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby clinton » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:02 pm

naw, I wasn't referring to you specifically , just the general feel of things on here seem to have this negative undertone (I know, know, I can leave then..yaddi yaddi yadda).

Thanks for the welcome, I wasn't sure if my presence here was a welcome one actually, so that's really cool to hear. Recording is something

I've been slowly learning about recording over the years and it's soemthing that has been a constant struggle with my various projects. I've been trying to dissect my favourite records and figure out why they sound the way they do and how I can mimic these sounds. Ultimately though, after doing enough recording and being in the music game for longer than I'd like to admit, you realize it's gotta be a good time to really be worth doing. That's the only point I was trying to make....

-clinton
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:10 pm

clinton wrote:naw, I wasn't referring to you specifically , just the general feel of things on here seem to have this negative undertone (I know, know, I can leave then..yaddi yaddi yadda).
Not true... I will do whatever I have to do to improve everyone's perception of the tone of this place, and the "welcoming" atmosphere... Even if it means banning everyone who has joined thus far... ;-)

clinton wrote:...I've been trying to dissect my favourite records and figure out why they sound the way they do and how I can mimic these sounds. Ultimately though, after doing enough recording and being in the music game for longer than I'd like to admit, you realize it's gotta be a good time to really be worth doing. That's the only point I was trying to make....
You just described everything you need to know... Try and make records that YOU would like if they weren't your own, and have a good time making them... At least most of the time.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:27 pm

BTW Clinton... I just listened to "'Til We Both Said Goodbye". Nice work. I enjoyed it, and I think it's a fab sounding demo. Especially knowing the price... ;-) He's doing a really good job of capturing stuff, and not screwing around with his, and your time.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby clinton » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:01 pm

hey thanks man. Recording that was a blast. Dave had this "we're all in it together" mentality and both Adam and I commented on what a blast doing that tune was. Plus his house smells of Febreeze...
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:10 pm

Mmmm....Febreeze... :-)

I like Febreeze.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to Sounds Good...