Programs

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:59 pm

Scott DeVarenne wrote:Ruler, I am having difficulty understanding several of your posts.
Please, could you read your posts and correct some of the errors before you hit "submit".

Agreed, most of us here are spelling and grammar nazis, this is what the professional world will expect of you as well. This is very friendly criticism. We say this with all due respect.

Use the preview button and observe your post before sending it, that might be all it takes.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby ruler » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:45 pm

Scott DeVarenne wrote:Ruler, I am having difficulty understanding several of your posts.
Please, could you read your posts and correct some of the errors before you hit "submit".

to you scott i was kind in a rush but if it bothers you guys so much i well check it over and if i can get it right i will not bother
ruler

Postby ruler » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:34 pm

macrae11 wrote:
ruler wrote: one question though if say i would get that the Reaper where would i get it?

Just click on the link.
Reaper,

i did not even see the link..
ruler

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:45 pm

ruler wrote:

to you scott i was kind in a rush but if it bothers you guys so much i well check it over and if i can get it right i will not bother

Again, not to be picky but I don't understand what is trying to be expressed here. It's difficult to read, sometimes one mistake (like saying "can" when you mean "can't") is enough to throw people off.

Anyways...let's get back on track here. Are you any closer to finding the right recording software for you needs?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby ruler » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:51 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:
ruler wrote:

Again, not to be picky but I don't understand what is trying to be expressed here. It's difficult to read, sometimes one mistake (like saying "can" when you mean "can't") is enough to throw people off.

Anyways...let's get back on track here. Are you any closer to finding the right recording software for you needs?

Yeah i think i am just going to try out reaper for now, anyways.
ruler

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:00 pm

Sounds good. Let us know how it works out for you!

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby ruler » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:22 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:Sounds good. Let us know how it works out for you!

Yeah, I well. Thanks to all that helped me out. and sorry about all the errors too.
Last edited by ruler on Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ruler

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:57 pm

I have the audacity to get back off track for just a second. Every post I make, I preview it first,
fix my mistakes, and then submit. And speaking of track and audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby ruler » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:18 pm

Scott DeVarenne wrote:I have the audacity to get back off track for just a second. Every post I make, I preview it first,
fix my mistakes, and then submit. And speaking of track and audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Yeah ok No offense or anything but people have said this to me over and over agian, i get it ok.

anyways Audactity i have had be for it was an alright program but I am looking for something different.
ruler

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:31 pm

Some posts in this thread have been removed or edited because of content regarding pirated software. Discussion of the procurement of pirated software will not be tolerated, and will be removed without notice.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby ruler » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:39 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Some posts in this thread have been removed or edited because of content regarding pirated software. Discussion of the procurement of pirated software will not be tolerated, and will be removed without notice.

yes, I would understanded why you would do that.
ruler

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:19 pm

Here, here. Bravo. I say no mercy for the guilty parties. That crap just makes me sick.
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:31 pm

Scott DeVarenne wrote:Here, here. Bravo. I say no mercy for the guilty parties. That crap just makes me sick.
I think you need a CO detector for your basement... You've been working down there a lot, and I'm thinking the fumes are getting to you... :-?
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Burnsy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:34 pm

I noticed previously in this topic of discussion, that there was the mention of a $10,000 - $15,000 budget for purchasing software and gear for recording. Unfortunately, that's a bit out of my price range, but I am curious. What gear, would everyone be purchasing for a functional recording setup (software, interfaces, out of the box hardware, etc.) with a $15,000 budget? Again, just curious.
Burnsy
Bronze Member

Postby Jef » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:01 pm

Burnsy wrote:I noticed previously in this topic of discussion, that there was the mention of a $10,000 - $15,000 budget for purchasing software and gear for recording. Unfortunately, that's a bit out of my price range, but I am curious. What gear, would everyone be purchasing for a functional recording setup (software, interfaces, out of the box hardware, etc.) with a $15,000 budget? Again, just curious.

$10-15k really isn't a lot if you're including a mixing consol, mics & stands, studio wall treatment, cables & connectors, and all the other required stuff to get up and running. But, however, if you already have this stuff and you just need the DAW and interface, you can get set up with a decent PC with SONAR and a good quality interface for well under $3000.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Burnsy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:20 pm

I guess if you had the essentials; "mixing consol, mics & stands, studio wall treatment, cables & connectors, and all the other required stuff to get up and running." As well, if you had the PC/Mac, where would $15,000 go towards interfaces, hardware, and/or software. Like a kid in a candy store with $15,000 to absolutely blow. I know it's not very realistic, but I am curious.
Burnsy
Bronze Member

Postby Jef » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:07 pm

A few places to go shopping...

http://www.sonic-core.net/en/home/index.html
http://www.motu.com/
https://frontierdesign.com/Products/Dakota
http://www.gigasonic.com/cat-pci-interfaces-soundcards.htm

You see... the choices of interfaces are virtually unlimited. Software, on the other hand, is a little easier. The really good recording programs are not quite so numerous.
ProTools, Cakewalk/Sonar, Cubase etc.
You also may consider if you are going to use 'plugin' type effects & accessories or outboard gear, or a combination of both. This will also add to your total cost.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby macrae11 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:54 pm

I think most of the $10000-$15000 systems in this thread were referring to Protools HD. When walking in HD land it's quite easy to spend $15000.

An HD2 system which retails for $11000, can usually be bought for around $5000-$7000. This is just software and two processing cards. No interfaces, no mics, no preamps, nothing.

Then say if you need 24 channels of I/O, that's about $5000, using Lynx Aurora converters as a benchmark.

Of course you still need a computer, so that can be anywhere from $1000-$4000 depending on Mac/PC and how much you want to trick it out.

24 channels of good quality preamps are going to cost between $100-$1000 per channel, so that's $2400- $24000.

My ideal mic kit would cost well over a $100000, but if we're being reasonable maybe budget $10000 for all your mics and cables and stands.

So there you have a $23000ish system, that still has no speakers, headphones, amps, room treatment, snakes, outboard gear, soldering station, etc etc etc.

Now to answer your question if you already have all the analog stuff taken care off. For just the HD system with interfaces, could easily cost up to $15000. And that's just an HD2 system. If you want to get into HD3, HD4 etc, or more I/O, the price keeps going up.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Alain Benoit » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:29 pm

That is exactly what I was refferring to Burnsy. An entry level HD rig. Now add Prism conversion as I/O and watch that price go WAY up.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Burnsy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:30 pm

WOW, thanks for the information macrae11 and Alain. That was what I was looking to hear. I know, as previously mentioned in this topic, that different engineers, artists, and musicians probably have different and diverse ideas as to what $15000 could do for them. Malcolm mentioned something about buying a dream MOTU/Sonar rig. I figured it would be interesting to see the specifics of diverse products people would purchase. Maybe I should have made a poll ;-)
Burnsy
Bronze Member

Postby Alain Benoit » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:03 pm

Burnsy wrote: I know, as previously mentioned in this topic, that different engineers, artists, and musicians probably have different and diverse ideas as to what $15000 could do for them.

$15,000 bought me a compressor and an EQ once.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Burnsy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:12 pm

Holy crap. I hope they get good use!
Burnsy
Bronze Member

Postby Alain Benoit » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:43 pm

It was worth it just to see the grin on MacRae's face as he dug in to the Cranesong STC-8.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby macrae11 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:45 pm

Yeah totally worth it. Well for me anyways. Didn't cost me nothin.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Alain Benoit » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:53 pm

macrae11 wrote:
Alain Benoit wrote:You still have not told ANYONE what your budget is.
I swear I get asked on a DAILY basis from clients, friends and strangers alike, " Hey Al, what is the best mic (amp, compressor, eq, preamp etc.) to get?".
Answer, Elam 250 (Crown Macrotech 10000, Fairchild 670, GML 9500, Neve 1073 etc.)
Awesome Al, how much is that mic? Well if you can find one in good shape upwards of $20,000 dude.
What!!!!!!!! I ain't got that kinda dough!
Well how much do you have to spend?
I dunno I was thinking around $250.
Well in that case..................................................

Ah you're funny AL. You get so anxious, and/or impatient. You should never work in sales. 8-)

That is so not true. I have proven time and time again to many people that i make an excellent, terrifying even, salesperson.
Not to mention a great purchaser.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

PreviousNext

Return to Sounds Good...