MIDI

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

How important is MIDI to you?

I need my MIDI!
60%
I use MIDI a lot, but only inside my DAW.
30%
I use MIDI a little, but I could live without it.
10%
What's MIDI?
No votes

Total votes : 10

MIDI

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:25 am

So, I've been using a ton of MIDI lately, old school synchronizing of synths, sound modules, drum machines, etc. I love MIDI and always have. I was lucky enough to be learning music as MIDI was new and becoming the standard it has become.

It's funny how more than a decade ago, some were predicting the demise of MIDI as a useful tool. It continues to live on in it's many forms, and is one of the most solid, and simple forms of synchronization of instruments, and audio equipment. Seeing the number of interfaces that are on the store shelves, it's apparent that I'm not the only one still using this format.

DAW audio editing has basically been developed to mimic the capabilities that MIDI sequencing had originally all to itself. It's one of the most obvious things when you look at Melodyne is how much it makes audio look like MIDI.

So... I'm curious. How many of you use MIDI in any capacity?
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Jef » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:56 am

I've been a keyboard player in several bands over the years. My first synth (Korg Poly 61) didn't even have MIDI ports. So it wasn't until about the mid 80's that I first got into MIDI. I had a Yamaha electric piano and I MIDI'd it to a Roland Juno 106. Both Keyboards were mediocre to say the least (but state of the art at the time), but combining the sounds of both keyboards opened up a whole new realm of possibilities. I was totally impressed with its capabilities and limitless possibilities. MIDI was a technology that was way ahead of it's time. I think MIDI is now such an integral part of so many situations that it will never be phased out (I hope).
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby oddioguy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:57 am

My outboard rack is out of arms length, so MIDI controls just about everything (as I remember)...I made control surfaces in Sonar to do hardware patch changes, parameter changes, etc. It sequences my drum machine and sound modules. My outboard control surface would be a paper weight without it.
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby macrae11 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:52 am

The only time I use MIDI outside of the 'puter is if I'm syncing up Al's HD2496 via MTC. works great for that. The rest of the time it's just for the usual uses, keyboard tracks, loop sequencing etc.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Alain Benoit » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:58 pm

macrae11 wrote:The only time I use MIDI outside of the 'puter is if I'm syncing up Al's HD2496 via MTC. works great for that. The rest of the time it's just for the usual uses, keyboard tracks, loop sequencing etc.

MMC
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby macrae11 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:23 pm

I believe it's actually using MTC as well. MMC is used for transport controls and record arming tracks(which I can't do from PT) and MTC is used for sync.

At least that's my understanding of how it works. You can correct me if I'm wrong.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:48 pm

macrae11 wrote:I believe it's actually using MTC as well. MMC is used for transport controls and record arming tracks(which I can't do from PT) and MTC is used for sync.

At least that's my understanding of how it works. You can correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, you are using both MTC and MMC when controlling that deck with ProTools. Time code is the sync, and MMC is what tells it to start, stop, and where to do that from.

I have used many machines over the years without the benefit of MMC on both ends where you would have to put the "deck" into play, and then start the "remote" to get it to work, otherwise the player sees the time code, but since it's not in play, it doesn't know to "start". Fun stuff.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Alain Benoit » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:03 pm

macrae11 wrote:I believe it's actually using MTC as well. MMC is used for transport controls and record arming tracks(which I can't do from PT) and MTC is used for sync.

That's it!!
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:59 am

Was actually reading up on MIDI and found this little site:

http://www.midi.org/

Lots of very cool info.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby fish » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:35 am

That's a very cool little site. Thanks for sharing Malcolm!
fish
Bronze Member

Location: somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:42 pm

I use Midi for various reasons these days. But mostly, I use midi files to easily edit performances, of various arrangements. Basically if I can play it on my synth, then it gets a MIDI track of some kind in Cubase. That way I'm not having to re-perform an entire orchestral passage because of a simply key change, or tempo change or anything.

If it's not in the guitar family or a vocal track, and I recorded it for pre-production purposes, then it's MIDI all the way baby! Sometimes I'll even chain an electronic drum set in there, and record my drum parts that way, instead of in the score editor. I like creating drum parts in the score editor though, because it keeps my reading/writing skills sharp.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to Sounds Good...