Mr Distant Songs

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:45 am

If I was gonna tool up, one of my questions would be "how many simultaneous Ins?".
Do I want to be able to record a full band live off the floor? With drums? Horns? Orchestra?
Of course you can always expand, but narrowing things down a bit might be a good way to go.
http://www.behringer.com/B2031A/index.cfm
I've got a set of these that will likely be unused for about 2 months. You are welcome to borrow them
and see what you think. If nothing else, they will provide a point of reference. Get it? :-(
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby Scott DeVarenne » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:47 am

"Reference"?
You see, that's funny because... whatever. :cry:
Scott DeVarenne
mr distant

Postby Burnsy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:55 am

To start off with, just me I guess. 2 - 4 ins... but eventually a 4-5 piece band live off the floor is the ultimate goal, which gets me leaning toward 8 ins to start with. Thanks for extending your invitation to borrow the monitors, but I think you may actually get a chance to use them before I do... still apartment living, and I have no equipment to use the monitors with ... I'm hoping 6-8 months, that can change. I'm just doing my research now. I may be able to make my first purchase in 4-6 weeks, $500 bones... any suggestions?
Burnsy
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:43 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
Drumwaiter wrote:Pick a price range you can live with, and that can give you a good start.
With the state of retail and "project" recording taking off, you can basically get a set up for every budget, to meet your short term needs.

Period.

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more. Which is why there are so many choices available now. The trick is to narrow your options and pick something the setup that suits your needs, given the budget.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:28 am

http://www.esi-audio.com/products/esp1010/

Here's an 8 channel unit that can be had for well under $500. It's been out for a few years, so hence the lower price tag. It's PCI based, which I like, but may not be suitable depending on your computer. Two mic pres, but 8 analog ins, so you could expand with a small mixer later. The people who I know have tried it really liked it, stable drivers, decent converters.

Once you get your computer set up, a cable and a mic later you could be rolling. Oh and software too. Cubase and Sonar have many supporters on this forum, and I would definitely recommend one of them. Or on the cheaper end of the scale (free) there's Reaper
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Burnsy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:18 pm

Thanks for your respone Macrae11. In your opinion and in anyone else's opinion, with reference to PCI based, Firewire, or USB2... what are the differences, if any, and do the differences matter?
Burnsy
Bronze Member

Postby macrae11 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:09 pm

Personally I prefer PCI based sound cards, as I have found them to be generally more stable. Less computer issues to deal with (bussing etc) and no power going down the same lines as the audio. Also almost zero chance of the cable being unplugged at an inopportune time.

That being said, Firewire and USB 2.0 interfaces have improved greatly over the last couple of years, and stability is not nearly so much of an issue any more. They are also generally more convenient, especially for location work, as they will work with a laptop. I actually have a firewire interface for my portable rig.

As far as the difference between Firewire and USB 2.0 it's fairly negligible. Firewire is slightly faster, but it's not to much of a concern for audio applications. I do find USB 2.0 is more widely supported, particularly on mid-low end PC's. Of course you can always purchase some type of Firewire expansion if your computer does not have it.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Burnsy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:26 pm

Is it possible to "test" interfaces at a local retailer, to see if it's what you're looking for? Or are purchses really based on word of mouth and performance reviews?
Burnsy
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:22 pm

Burnsy wrote:Is it possible to "test" interfaces at a local retailer, to see if it's what you're looking for? Or are purchses really based on word of mouth and performance reviews?
A "test" would mean nothing to you, IMO. All you can do is look at features, specs, and reputation and go for it. An endorsement from someone you trust can help you make up your mind.

I purchased my first main interface (my MOTU2408 mk3) based on the rep that MOTU has in the industry, and that it had the features I wanted. I had never used that exact interface before, although I had seen previous 2408s in action. It is one of the best purchases I have ever made. Of all the gear in my setup, I see no need to replace it as the main I/O to my DAW. In fact, I'd love to have another 2408 expansion module so I could do 48 in from the PM5Ds at the theatre.

I prefer PCI interfaces for a main system, but for a personal setup, USB or Firewire would be fine. The main plus with the MOTU PCI424 card is that you can run various interfaces off 1 card. That means that not only could I purchase another 2408 and run it off the same card, but various MOTU units can run off the same, already installed card.

I have my main system, which is a PCI based rig, but I also use USB interfaces with absolutely no problem. I may be leaning in the same direction as Andrew, but I consider a PCI interface to be a permanent setup, and a USB interface to be more a temporary or portable rig.

Once again, if you are in a personal setup, you aren't under the same demands as folks who are charging someone else for their time...
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:05 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
I have my main system, which is a PCI based rig, but I also use USB interfaces with absolutely no problem. I may be leaning in the same direction as Andrew, but I consider a PCI interface to be a permanent setup, and a USB interface to be more a temporary or portable rig.

I didn't realize at the time that I picked up my Fireface 800 that PCI cards are typically considered more stable. I purchased it based on the features mostly and the quality of the pre-amps and converters, and also the fact that RME seemed to only make solid products. The fact that I was getting a wicked deal didn't hurt. But to be honest it's never even come close, in the 3+ years I've owned it, to even dream of acting strange. It's always performed exactly the way it should.

Malcolm/Andrew, have firewire and USB interfaces improved in recent years or is it still considered amongst most folks that PCI is the way to go?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:23 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:...
Malcolm/Andrew, have firewire and USB interfaces improved in recent years or is it still considered amongst most folks that PCI is the way to go?
I know the interfaces have a greater variety of features since I first looked at them.

As I said before, for a larger and more permanent setup, I would go PCI... But I'm a bit of a snob. I could be wrong, but I believe with a PCI card, you're plugged more directly into the processor itself, and to my way of thinking the more direct the better.

Maybe Mike can add his view on this.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:55 am

I definitely agree with you Malcolm. The closer you can get to the source the less issues you're going to have. A computer person like Sub might be able to better explain, but there's just more stuff going on through a 1394/USB bus. Extra buffers, power, sync issues etc. I believe there is also a certain amount of latency involved in 1394/USB transfers although it is very small.

All this being said, a great company like RME can write some very solid code, and when paired with a solid rig like yours Matt, you can have some superb results. Many companies aren't nearly as thorough.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:13 am

Cool... Good to know though. Thanks guys!

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Previous

Return to Sounds Good...