Old fashioned paper...

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Old fashioned paper...

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:12 am

Old fashioned paper... I know crazy, but.....

I recently imported tracks to mix from another facility. Hard drive with directories for each song, and files were labeled in an obvious fashion, which is a plus. Everything would be cool but... there were tracks missing.

Now, I'll back up a little and say because I'm just old enough to have worked with tape a fair bit, I keep track sheets. Because of the DAW environment, it can be a little taxing compared to "the old days", but this is a good example of something that could have helped avoid a situation like this from developing into a PITA.

Now back to this project. I get mixes happening, and the the producer of the project comes by to hear how things are developing. We get to a song and he says, "The 12 String is really buried there." I look, and much to my surprise... No 12 String track. I double check to make sure I didn't miss something, and no track on the hard drive from the original studio. The producer, who BTW recorded the tracks and exported the directories for me to use seems puzzled. As we continue, several tracks are missing from a few of the songs. We later find out that for whatever reason, the files got missed when the tracks were exported.

So to make a short story long. If track sheets, or any paperwork had been kept on this project, it would have saved a hassle of sizable proportion from happening down the line.

I say again track sheets are your friend.

Andrew, anyone.... What do you guys do?
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:40 am

For the KT session, I made track sheets, recall sheets, you name it and I probably did it. My 'piece de resistance' was a HUGE recall sheet for the Amek board, as the automation hasn't been set up yet. I made a scale diagram of the entire console (every last knob, switch, button and fader) entirely in excel. It was pretty crazy, but we did end up having to go back on a mix one day, and we were glad to have the records.

When I record in my DAW though I typically don't... But then again, I've never had to send a project away for mixing. I suppose if I did send it off, it would make sense to at least have a track sheet indicating all the tracks that are included in each song. I will take your advice good sir! :idea:
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:47 am

Drumwaiter wrote:...a HUGE recall sheet for the Amek board...
Digital cameras are your friend. ;-)

I remember before digital, Polaroid cameras were standard equipment in most control rooms.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:55 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
Drumwaiter wrote:...a HUGE recall sheet for the Amek board...
Digital cameras are your friend. ;-)

I remember before digital, Polaroid cameras were standard equipment in most control rooms.

I realize that, that was my intention at first. But there was no easy way to get a clear enough picture of anything without only catching small sections of the board, The board was just to big. I had to go the paper way on this one. Trying to do that with a camera would have been a nightmare. Especially the top of the strips, everything looks like everything else, the pictures just made me dizzy. :-?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:18 am

When I've been around for the "snapshot" procedure, we would take pics of sections of the console that were necessary to record. For landmarking, a piece of tape, or "post its" would be used so you would know what you were looking at. It's the whole, you don't need to reset the whole console, just the stuff you've tweaked idea.

Not limited to consoles... racks, mic and stand position, and even position of instruments and gear were noted with photos on higher profile sessions I was lucky enough to be in on.

This is always in conjunction with meticulous note keeping.

I know there are sites where you can download templates for consoles and the like for note keeping. I've never used them because just as they were starting up, I was using digital desks on more and more dates.

I would really be happy to see better note keeping become a trend. I'm sure it still exists in more "pro" settings, but I do know that even the big guys are complaining about it, and the lack thereof.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:03 am

I must say, I haven't used track sheets in a while, with the exception of the KT session, which was largely analogue. I am however a severe adherent to meticulous track naming and note taking within the session.

Since most of my transfers are PT to PT, I have to worry less about missing files, because even if files are missing the second PT rig will notify the user that things are missing, and will show blank regions where the files are missing. I haven't done any large session transfers either to or from a none PT rig. Actually I guess we did for the KT session, as I exported everything for him to be able to open on his logic rig, but as previously stated, Matt did a great job of note taking and track sheets on that session.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:21 am

macrae11 wrote:but as previously stated, Matt did a great job of note taking and track sheets on that session.

Yay! Go Team Alpha Squad!!! 8-)

Ummm, that reminds me... I'm looking to volunteer my time as an assistant engineer to anyone that could use one. It's a great way for me to learn all of the tricks you guys use! I'm just looking for experience.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Jef » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:14 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:Ummm, that reminds me... I'm looking to volunteer my time as an assistant engineer to anyone that could use one. It's a great way for me to learn all of the tricks you guys use! I'm just looking for experience.

Can you lift heavy objects? :twisted:
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:23 pm

Jef wrote:
Drumwaiter wrote:Ummm, that reminds me... I'm looking to volunteer my time as an assistant engineer to anyone that could use one. It's a great way for me to learn all of the tricks you guys use! I'm just looking for experience.

Can you lift heavy objects? :twisted:

Not that again... :roll:

Why, are you planning to use me to level your desk? :lol:

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Jef » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:27 pm

hehehe... just messin' with ya, Matt.
...carry on.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:32 pm

I mean, hey... wait a sec! I can probably do a really good job at that too... I just need a chance to prove myself. C'mon man, give me a chance, I swear you won't regret it. I'll be the best damn table shim you've ever fricken seen... :-D

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to Sounds Good...