Guitar Delays

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Guitar Delays

Postby LarryS » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:07 pm

I own a POD XT LIVE multieffects processor. I've been real happy with almost everything this box does, But I have not been able to get what I think are good tones with any delay patches.

Could someone maybe give a little tutorial on delays. (tricks, best type(s), uses, 80's sound ect..) How does one archive that U2 sound? Relationship of delay effect to tone?

LarryS
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:01 am

That "U2" sound is a lot more than just delay... :-P

Are you confident in your understanding of all the associated parameters of delays?

One thing that affects how delays react is where they sit in the order of relationship to other FX. Pre or post reverbs or ambiance? Pre or post anything pitch based such as chorus, flange, or phase. This can radically affect how the delays react in the context.

Another thing is the use of band pass filters on delays. It is very common to use high and/or low pass filters on delays, which changes the balance relationship between the "dry" signal and the delay. You can usually get away with a higher effect level with a band limited delay signal, which of course can be a desirable thing when going for radical processing.

Other than something specific with the Pod, all I suggest is knowing what parameters are available to you, what they do, and twiddle until something works for you.

One last thing about delay. A lot of effects like a "flange" or "phase" are actually just based on a short delay time. Try messing around with a reasonably dry signal, and adding in a delay of about 100ms with no feedback. Then try lowering the time until you approach 0ms, and you'll start hearing wonderful things. The feedback level can then add other interesting stuff once you get some frequency dependent interaction happening.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:10 am

A couple of more notes. Often affecting just the delay can make the effects sit nicely. And by that I mean, applying a phase, flange or something only to the delay and not to the dry signal. Also if possible it's great to be able to have the delay repeats feedback through the effect, not just internally in the delay. This means that every subsequent delay will be slightly more flanged, phased, EQ'd whatever.

Often times the edge will often use dotted quarter or dotted eighth note delays instead of straight eighths or quarters. This gives that continuous "rolling" feeling, which really makes the delays seem like more of an integral piece of the part, as opposed just effects to spice the part up.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:31 pm

macrae11 wrote:...Often times the edge will often use dotted quarter or dotted eighth note delays instead of straight eighths or quarters. This gives that continuous "rolling" feeling, which really makes the delays seem like more of an integral piece of the part, as opposed just effects to spice the part up.
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd...... Making delays having an exact musical rhythm value certainly works, and is very common, but making the repeats of a delay not mathematically perfect is a very nice effect also. Think the vocal delays on "In The Air Tonight".

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:27 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd...... Making delays having an exact musical rhythm value certainly works, and is very common, but making the repeats of a delay not mathematically perfect is a very nice effect also. Think the vocal delays on "In The Air Tonight".

100% agree, but for copying the Edges guitar tone, 95% of the time, you're going to want your delays to be in time.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:34 pm

macrae11 wrote:100% agree, but for copying the Edges guitar tone, 95% of the time, you're going to want your delays to be in time.
I recommend taking the time to watch this whole thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpgxt_-kyME

I remember catching it when it was on Discovery originally. Great looks at all the gear, and those who use it.

I like the PM4K Monitor console for each member of the band.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby LarryS » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:52 pm

Thanks for the input. Great video. I can't believe I have not seen that before. I got to see the zoo tour in three different venues it was awesome. :-D
LarryS
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:38 pm

Yeah, I just recently bought a Pop Mart tour DVD that had a bunch of documentaries on it as extras, but I was sorry to see that one wasn't included.

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Return to Sounds Good...