So I wanna do 24 inputs to a DAW....

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

So I wanna do 24 inputs to a DAW....

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:54 am

... In ProTools am I limited to "HD" to get 24 in? Is it possible to run a lesser ProTools rig and get 24 inputs?

I'm wondering if someone wanted to interface 24Channels of Lightpipe into a DAW using something like THIS, can you do it in ProTools M-Powered or something like that, or do you have to go bigger?

Had someone asking about possibilities, and wanted to make sure I have my facts straight.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:05 am

In order to get "official" support of 24 channels, yes you do need HD. The LE (and M-Powered) spec is limited to 18 simultaneous inputs.

However some people have reported success with inputting more than 18 channels with the Profire Lightbridge. However if it doesn't work as expected and you call Digidesign for help they will tell you it can be done, and that you are limited to 18 I/O.

The Lightbridge is the only interface that even has the possibility of running PT with more than 18 I/O. So they can take a bit of a risk because, I think it would be very difficult to purchase and return the software and hardware to try it out. You could probably borrow a copy of the software to try it out though. And if it doesn't work you could either return the interface, or you could always use it with another DAW if you wanted to.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby macrae11 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:07 am

I did a quick bit of research, and people were saying that the 36 I/O was only working on a mac in v7.3.1cs2 or before. Apparently Digi "fixed" this "bug" after this point. Don't know if it ever worked on a PC.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby fish » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:45 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Music Production Toolkit add-on allow for up to 48 tracks in LE and M-Powered? Or is that just total tracks and not simultaneous?
fish
Bronze Member

Location: somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert

Postby macrae11 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:54 pm

Correct the Music Production Toolkit does increase your total simultaneous playback tracks up to 48, however you can still only ever record 18 at one time.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby fish » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:01 pm

Ahhh, just playback. I knew I read something about 48 tracks :-)
fish
Bronze Member

Location: somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert

Return to Sounds Good...