Little Women

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Little Women

Postby Burnsy » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:24 am

Did anyone else get a chance to see Harbourview High School's production of Little Women? I went last night for the closing, Malcolm and Scott were doing sound... and not surprisingly, it sounded good! 29 wireless mics running simultaneously at one point I believe is what Malcolm had said. Great production and organization by the HVHS crew and the Middle Audio crew.

Scott I did enjoy the song sung by "Marmie," it was the strings in that song and her soft singin style that was effective for me. Malcolm, the "Out of Tune" piano program was great, my parents have an old beater that sounds similar! Anyways, great job by everyone. Feel free to fill in some details.
Burnsy
Bronze Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:53 pm

Thanks Tom. The gang at HVHS surprise me every year with their work on these shows. They live these productions for months to get them in shape for the performance week. The dedication of the team at the school, as well as the students involved is unbelievable. Some of the kids you saw last night were involved in their fourth show with me. To see how the show evolves in the little time I'm involved, the last ten days or so, is nothing compared to what Juliette and Mike see as Directors with the show. Those kids blow me away, and get more "pro" each year I'm there.

The maximum number of body mics in play at any one given time was 23. This is the largest setup for a Harbour View show so far, with 24 wireless systems, and a 12 member pit band, with some of the members doubling and tripling up on instruments.

Wireless systems were all Shure. 12 of the older "U" series, with a dozen brand new ULXP, just brought in to the D&D sound inventory. Microphones were my Countryman B3s that I continue to have excellent luck with. Not a single microphone problem all week with the body mics.

Glad you liked the show, and I agree... Those who didn't catch it, missed a good one.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Re: Little Women

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:03 pm

Burnsy wrote:... the "Out of Tune" piano program was great, my parents have an old beater that sounds similar! ...
The "piano" sound in question was all from Mike Malloy's keys setup. Ironically, the brown grand piano that was on stage for those scenes was actually brutally out of tune.

I love how Mike performed the piano parts for those bits. He really played the "part" so to speak for the actress on stage.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Return to Sounds Good...