mixing board

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Postby ruler » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:05 am

Alain Benoit wrote:Going from a Yamaha to a Behringer would not be much of an upgrade.

I did not plan on buying a Behringer, I was think about getting a Mackie. If I can find a place that sells them for a good price that is.
ruler

Postby Jef » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:16 pm

ruler wrote:I did not plan on buying a Behringer, I was think about getting a Mackie. If I can find a place that sells them for a good price that is.

Try ebay.
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby ruler » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:27 pm

Jef wrote:
ruler wrote:I did not plan on buying a Behringer, I was think about getting a Mackie. If I can find a place that sells them for a good price that is.

Try ebay.

I tried there is not much there.
ruler

Postby Jef » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:40 pm

ruler wrote:
Jef wrote:

Try ebay.

You couldn't have looked too hard there Ruler. Here's a couple items that came up when I searched ebay...

http://search.ebay.ca/search/search.dll ... category0=

http://search.ebay.ca/search/search.dll ... p=1&fsoo=1
Jef
Gold Member

Postby ruler » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:40 pm

Jef wrote:
ruler wrote:
Jef wrote:

Try ebay.

You couldn't have looked too hard there Ruler. Here's a couple items that came up when I searched ebay...

http://search.ebay.ca/search/search.dll ... category0=

http://search.ebay.ca/search/search.dll ... p=1&fsoo=1

No I didn't seach that hard I am kinda at school. but Thank you for look me Jef.
ruler

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:54 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
oddioguy wrote:Duck, it's the grammar police! Here...hold this dangling participle for me 'til they're gone!

My badge! I've been looking all over for that... Where'd you find it?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Jef » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:31 pm

ruler wrote:No I didn't seach that hard I am kinda at school. but Thank you for look me Jef.

I didn't search that hard either, I am kinda at work. But you're welcome.
I don't mind for look you Ruler. ;-)
Jef
Gold Member

Postby ruler » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:33 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:
Malcolm Boyce wrote:
oddioguy wrote:Duck, it's the grammar police! Here...hold this dangling participle for me 'til they're gone!

I well make you one Matt so everyone will know. Who you are.
ruler

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:53 pm

ruler wrote:
Drumwaiter wrote:
Malcolm Boyce wrote:

I well make you one Matt so everyone will know. Who you are.

Awesome man! Thanks! :-D
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu May 08, 2008 2:10 pm

Hey Ruler,

Did you end up picking a board to go with?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby oddioguy » Fri May 09, 2008 4:10 pm

Jef wrote:
ruler wrote:No I didn't seach that hard I am kinda at school. but Thank you for look me Jef.

I didn't search that hard either, I am kinda at work. But you're welcome.
I don't mind for look you Ruler. ;-)

Bwahahahahaha..... fuk bro....
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby ruler » Fri May 16, 2008 7:55 am

Drumwaiter wrote:Hey Ruler,

No I did not I am useing a friends really old one right now it is pretty bad but I have to save up the money for the one I want. I thought it would be better to save up and get the one I want then buy something I am not happy with...
ruler

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri May 16, 2008 8:29 am

ruler wrote:I thought it would be better to save up and get the one I want then buy something I am not happy with...

Good idea!

Have you decided what you want to buy when the time comes?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Jef » Fri May 16, 2008 9:08 am

ruler wrote:
Drumwaiter wrote:Hey Ruler,

No I did not I am using a friends really old one right now it is pretty bad but I have to save up the money for the one I want. I thought it would be better to save up and get the one I want then buy something I am not happy with...

That's good if you can get by with the loaner for now.
I run across some good deals on gear from time to time, I'll let you know if I see anything.
Be sure to post here again when you get the money saved up.
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri May 16, 2008 10:26 am

We'll keep a lookout for you over our way too, we come across all kinds of stuff sometimes.

Is your budget still in the 500 range?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby ruler » Tue May 20, 2008 7:38 am

Drumwaiter wrote:We'll keep a lookout for you over our way too, we come across all kinds of stuff sometimes.

Is your budget still in the 500 range?

yeah I am not really that sure what my budget is because if I find a really good bored that I want then I am just going to save up for that but if one comes along that I kinda like and that works then all get it.

and thanks for keeping a eye out for me though guys.
ruler

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Resurrecting an old thread, because I wanted to bring attention to a mixer that ebay is sending me, for under $300: a Yamaha MG124CX.

A review.
A large pic.

I still can't get over not only how useful this will be for me for both home studio and live use, but just how many features are packed into this thing for its price point (generally under $400, depending where you buy from). This thing has already been educational for me, just from reading up on certain things (like PFL, or helping me visualize bus routing a bit better).

While I don't yet see myself running mixes from the board into my computer for final mixes (I prefer to play around in the DAW after recording things one track at a time), this thing should be great for recording simple demos. I also see it as a songwriting tool, letting me play around with multiple synths going at the same time (in addition to whatever I'm doing with my guitar and pedals). As for live use, I'm really looking forward to how easy it will be to give my vocals a little bit of simple reverb and compression.

Is this an example of 'technology creep,' ie, the home user getting more and more bang for their buck as tech becomes more widely available? Or am I being blinded by buyer's euphoria or something?
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:29 pm

Christian LeBlanc wrote:Is this an example of 'technology creep,' ie, the home user getting more and more bang for their buck as tech becomes more widely available?
This is precisely what it is. Inclusion of things like a compressor on those channels is an outstanding feature. You need to remember when an EQ on inputs would have been considered an "extra" and now you wouldn't dream of at least a simple control not being included.

Looks cool. Enjoy!
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:19 am

I use a smaller version of those in the studio for rehearsals and such. The compressors don't sound particularly good, but can be functional. I don't have the effects version so can't comment.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Christian LeBlanc » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:38 pm

I picked mine up from the post office on Friday, and had some time to play around with it last night. It took me a few minutes to get sound flowing properly; at first, the pre-fade listen was the only way I could hear anything, but after playing around with sending things to the stereo bus (I think I said that right), I was in business.

I think the difference between the f/x-laden version and the non-f/x is only about $60, so they sound like about $60 worth of f/x :) Nothing that sounds that awesome, BUT, as a simple way of previewing what some f/x (mostly reverb) would sound? Invaluable. I loved just adding a touch of reverb on my vocals and my Voyager to get some very good-sounding audio (you can adjust how much of the effect is sent out to the channels, and from each channel, you can adjust how much of that to apply).

I thought the compressors sounded good, but I was just using them for vocals, and even then for only about 20 minutes. Up all the way was very unnatural for vocals, of course, but very useful just for previewing how things sound (when I'm noodling around with vocals, I normally do so at a small, shy volume). I can definitely see using some of its compression (and reverb) in a live performance.

Anyway, I just wanted to post a follow-up to say how cool and useful (for me) this thing is. Considering how my last mixers were those Realistic 4-channel jobbies, I feel like I'm using some pro gear for reals now ;) It actually has me re-thinking my live setup, in terms of what instruments to use; any new piece of gear that sparks my imagination like this is a good investment, imho.

The only drawback? Picturing the mess of wires and cables my studio-room floor will soon be covered with :P
Christian LeBlanc
Silver Member

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:12 pm

It is always fun messing around with new gear. Consoles can be a great learning tool.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Previous

Return to Sounds Good...