Cubase SX 2 question

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Cubase SX 2 question

Postby Redeye Mojo » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:35 pm

Have some archived stuff here that was originally recorded @ 44100 Hz a while back... When I attempt to open a file from this archive, I get the pop-up...
"Samplerate could not be set. This may be due to the sampleclock being set to external sync."

It's now defaulting to 48000 Hz. I went through the process of "Devices>Device Setup", but there is no 44100 as an option... Just 96000 Hz and 48000 Hz.

"Clock source" is set to "internal" as well, which I assume rules out the "External sync" flag...

I've uninstalled. Cleaned system registry. Reinstalled. No luck.

Sifted through the massive Cubase forums, until my eyes began to bleed.

Is there a silver bullet solution for this pain in the arse?

TIA!
Redeye Mojo

Re: Cubase SX 2 question

Postby oddioguy » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:18 pm

Redeye Mojo wrote:Have some archived stuff here that was originally recorded @ 44100 Hz a while back... When I attempt to open a file from this archive, I get the pop-up...
"Samplerate could not be set. This may be due to the sampleclock being set to external sync."

It's now defaulting to 48000 Hz. I went through the process of "Devices>Device Setup", but there is no 44100 as an option... Just 96000 Hz and 48000 Hz.

"Clock source" is set to "internal" as well, which I assume rules out the "External sync" flag...

I've uninstalled. Cleaned system registry. Reinstalled. No luck.

Sifted through the massive Cubase forums, until my eyes began to bleed.

Is there a silver bullet solution for this pain in the arse?

TIA!

Sorry, I can't help.
Never used Cubase, although I would like to believe that SX2 would be backwards compatable.
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:20 pm

You say nothing about the hardware you are using. This has as much to do with sample rate as the software.

Are you using the same hardware setup that you used when tracking at 44.1 before? If so, what has changed? This will help you figure out what is going on. You need to know what the difference is between files you can open, and can't open. If it's just the sample rate, for example you can open 48K and 96K files, that will help you narrow down what is going on.

As well, what exactly are you trying to open, Cubase projects, OMF, or just importing audio files? Do you get the error just trying to open the files, or play them?

I'm sure there may be more folks on here that are Cubase savy as well, and maybe we'll hear from someone who has seen this before.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Redeye Mojo » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:57 am

Malcolm Boyce wrote:You say nothing about the hardware you are using. This has as much to do with sample rate as the software.

Are you using the same hardware setup that you used when tracking at 44.1 before? If so, what has changed? This will help you figure out what is going on. You need to know what the difference is between files you can open, and can't open. If it's just the sample rate, for example you can open 48K and 96K files, that will help you narrow down what is going on.

As well, what exactly are you trying to open, Cubase projects, OMF, or just importing audio files? Do you get the error just trying to open the files, or play them?

I'm sure there may be more folks on here that are Cubase savy as well, and maybe we'll hear from someone who has seen this before.

Same HW setup. SB Audigy 2ZS (yeah, I know)...
I did make some soft device setup changes in Cubase as I was experiencing some mild latency as I was adding an additional track. I had never experienced this before. At that time, I was @ 44100Hz.
What seems strange to me is that when I initally changed my settings, I went from 44100Hz up to 96000Hz, and I actually experienced near zero latency at the higher setting (less than 5ms if I recall, maybe not even 3ms).
Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me... I'm certainly no digital recording wizard by any means, but I assumed that the higher setting would have resulted in greater latency... It was just the oposite. Go figure.
I can certainly "import" an audio file at 44100 and convert on the fly... That's no problem. It's just that when I open a project file, I get Alvin & The Chipmunks... lol
I realize that SB stuff is the bane of those in the know in the Pro-Audio field, but I've never had a problem like this before. As I am just using it to jot down ideas, I find that the front of system daughtercard allows for quick accessibility to 1/4", SPDIF, RCA, MIDI, Optical, and firewire.
I'm considering ordering an M-Audio Delta 44 break out box. Any thoughts on this? Will it possibly alleviate this BS due to its interface dedication?

Thanx
Redeye Mojo

Postby Redeye Mojo » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:03 am

I probably should have mentioned the system specs as well.

Athlon 2gHz
1gig of ram
2 120 gig drives 1st drive is logically partitioned to isolate the OS (Xp Pro), Program Files, Etc. The second drive is a dedicated audio drive only.

System is well maintained. Never a problem/conflict.

Thanx
Redeye Mojo

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:28 pm

The latency vs. sample rate thing is counter intuitive. The delay is the filling up of a buffer to avoid processing problems. The buffer is adjusted by deciding on the number of samples you want to set aside before moving them on.

If you decided at 48K that you wanted to set aside 48000 samples, you would get a delay of 1second. If you change your sample rate, but leave the buffer set the same, you would only get a delay of 1/2second.

You can actually figure out the latency, if you know the number of samples/buffer and the sampling rate. Samples per buffer divided by sample rate x1000 will give you the amount in ms.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:41 pm

Redeye Mojo wrote:Same HW setup. SB Audigy 2ZS (yeah, I know)...

I can certainly "import" an audio file at 44100 and convert on the fly... That's no problem. It's just that when I open a project file, I get Alvin & The Chipmunks... lol
I realize that SB stuff is the bane of those in the know in the Pro-Audio field, but I've never had a problem like this before. As I am just using it to jot down ideas, I find that the front of system daughtercard allows for quick accessibility to 1/4", SPDIF, RCA, MIDI, Optical, and firewire.
I'm considering ordering an M-Audio Delta 44 break out box. Any thoughts on this? Will it possibly alleviate this BS due to its interface dedication?

Thanx
I don't think the problem you're having has anything to do with your hardware. What are your choices for "clock sync" in Cubase? You say it's set to "internal", but is there an "audio" selection or somthing similar?
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Return to Sounds Good...