Who Here Considers Themselves A "Pro"

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Who Here Considers Themselves A "Pro"

Postby clinton » Fri May 09, 2008 2:16 pm

well?
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri May 09, 2008 2:20 pm

Wow... Quite a loaded question. Since we are in the "Sounds Good" forum, can I assume you mean in terms of a sound professional and not a musician?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby clinton » Fri May 09, 2008 2:39 pm

I'm new here, I still haven't figured out what goes where. Fun question though...
"I came unarmed, they've all got knives, how can this song survive?" - Ron Sexsmith (Blue Boy)
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri May 09, 2008 2:49 pm

clinton wrote:Fun question though...

Indeed!

Main Entry: 1pro·fes·sion·al
Function: adjective

1 a: of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession b: engaged in one of the learned professions c (1): characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2): exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace

2 a: participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer> b: having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c: engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>

3: following a line of conduct as though it were a profession

So under these guidelines, would you consider yourself a professional Clinton?

Under these guidelines I would consider myself a professional musician, and most of the people I've worked with would agree. (I hope :-P )
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby clinton » Fri May 09, 2008 2:57 pm

No! I absolutely don't but the reasons I play music prolly differ from the norm.
clinton
Gold Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri May 09, 2008 3:25 pm

clinton wrote:No! I absolutely don't but the reasons I play music prolly differ from the norm.

Yes, I'd be more the kind of guy you'd hire in your backup band. That is actually my reason for playing is to be able to help artists to convey their art, through my skills. Everything else that I do in the end works to that common goal. Playing in "cover bands" for example is good practice so that when I get to play with an original artist I have many ideas to draw from. Woodshedding is also important to me.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby roachie » Fri May 09, 2008 3:39 pm

Most of the $ I make comes from playing, so maybe, and most of my $ goes to beer, so definately.
roachie
Sean Roach

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Fri May 09, 2008 3:49 pm

Since most of my income for the past two decades has come from working in this business, and since I've been lucky enough to continue working with many who I consider to be "Pro", then I would consider myself to most times be working as a Professional.

I know Revenue Canada considers me to be a "Pro"... :oops:

When other people start referring to you as a professional, you probably are.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Fri May 09, 2008 3:50 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:When other people start referring to you as a professional, you probably are.

Well put!

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby macrae11 » Fri May 09, 2008 8:05 pm

1. following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder.
5. following as a business an occupation ordinarily engaged in as a pastime: a professional golfer.
7. undertaken or engaged in as a means of livelihood or for gain: professional baseball.
11. a person who earns a living in a sport or other occupation frequently engaged in by amateurs: a golf professional.
12. an expert player, as of golf or tennis, serving as a teacher, consultant, performer, or contestant; pro.
13. a person who is expert at his or her work: You can tell by her comments that this editor is a real professional.

Here's a few definitions of professional that I found that might be applicable. Do you fall into one of these categories?

I'm a professional by all of these categories... well except maybe the last one. :shock:
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby RoadDog » Sat May 10, 2008 2:03 pm

Why yes, yes I am !
A spider wanders aimlessly within the warmth of a shadow....
RoadDog
Bronze Member

Postby Jef » Sun May 11, 2008 8:07 am

I don't do sound full time (I have a day job), but when I do a sound gig, I always
approach it with a professional attitude. I find that when you behave in a professional manner,
you tend to get a better respect and appreciation from the client.
...and also it helps if you know what you are doing :mrgreen:
So... although I wouldn't consider myself to be a 'pro' sound engineer because I don't do it full time,
most of my clients probably think of me as pro mainly because of my knowledge, experience, and ability
to do the job properly.
My day job... I am a pro (but that's another story).
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Return to Sounds Good...