Choir Mics

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Choir Mics

Postby macrae11 » Tue May 13, 2008 4:24 pm

I got this question asked of me, so I thought I'd ask around here for some extra ideas.

A friend asked for an opinion on some choir mics. 30 person choir, usually 15 wide by 2 deep. Planning on getting 3 mics. Budget of around $1500.

Ideas?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue May 13, 2008 5:35 pm

Shure SM81
Shure KSM137

Cardioid Isomax 4 work well if you need a gooseneck type mic.

And of course the IsomaxII.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Tue May 13, 2008 5:57 pm

Thanks Malcolm. KSM137 is a good idea. Forgot to mention that they aren't being flown. This is for location shows.

Is there any mics in wide cardiod in this price range? I like the sound of omnis for choir, but for obvious reason this often doesn't work in a live situation. Anyone ever tried wide omnis on choir, or can suggest one?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed May 14, 2008 1:04 am

I haven't used anything I would consider an open or "wide" cardioid for this application. I agree that a less directional pattern, including omnis, would give you great quality if you don't have to worry about bleed from other nearby sources.

For what you're talking about, I've had the most luck with the Shure's, and especially the 81s have a great track record as a workhorse mic. The AKG C451 is another model I've used a fair bit with nice results for group voices, and has a great track record on stage.

The more open pattern SDCs that I've used, but not for choirs, have been the more "recording" marketed mics like the RODE and several MXL cardioids. None of which have the quality of the Shure's or AKG in my opinion. The project studio marketed condenser mics may give you more open pattern cardioid mics to choose from, as opposed to the more traditional choices.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Blake » Wed May 14, 2008 10:58 am

macrae we have AKG HM100 with CK31 (cardiod) Caps they have a 33 foot cable for hanging them. i find they work great the only time i have had a problem with them is when used with a band on satge at the same time.
Blake

Postby macrae11 » Wed May 14, 2008 12:01 pm

The HM1000's look nice, but there will be a band on stage most of the time with this group, and they're not looking for hanging.

Actually you've worked with them Blake, it's for Smythe Street Choir.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Blake » Wed May 14, 2008 10:57 pm

got ya they would suck for them
Blake

Postby Blake » Sat May 17, 2008 11:14 am

another good mike to is the sennheiser E914 i had a kit of them in on a show a year ago and was very impressed with there isolation.
Blake

Return to Sounds Good...