Using an 1176 (or similar vintage compressor)

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Using an 1176 (or similar vintage compressor)

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:26 pm

I want to make sure I understand this right, as I can't find any references online for it.

So basically, the combination of the input and the output knobs determine the threshold being set right? For example if I bring up the input and bring down the output, then I'm compressing more, is that it? If that's the case what happens when you set the input down low and the output really high?

I have a few other questions about it, but we'll start here. Thanks for your patience.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Re: Using an 1176 (or similar vintage compressor)

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:49 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:So basically, the combination of the input and the output knobs determine the threshold being set right? For example if I bring up the input and bring down the output, then I'm compressing more, is that it?
In a nutshell, yes.

Drumwaiter wrote:If that's the case what happens when you set the input down low and the output really high?
What do you think? Depending how extreme you go, little gain reduction, and more noise...
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Jef » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:52 pm

Input:
The Input control determines when the compressor receives a signal “loud” enough to trigger gain reduction as well as total output level. Higher settings will increase the relative amount of compression.

In order to set the limiter to provide a specific amount of compression, first adjust the input and Output controls to their full counterclockwise (CCW) position. Set the Attack and Release controls to “5”. Set the Meter switch to GR (Gain Reduction). Rotate the Input Level control CW until the meter bounces down to –3 to –5 dB. Now set the Meter Switch to +4 (output level), turn the Output control CW until the desired output level is achieved. Switch back to GR and fine tune Input and Output controls to achieve optimum compression and output level.

Output:
The Output control determines the final output level. Once the desired amount of limiting is adjusted by setting the Input Control, the Output Control can be used to set the required output level. Setting the meter switch to +4 will allow monitoring of the output level.

http://www.uaudio.com/_works/pdf/manual ... manual.pdf
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby macrae11 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:19 pm

To be a little more specific.

In the 1176 (and other similar compressors) there is a fixed threshold. The input dictates how much of your signal gets pushed about the threshold.

The output knob doesn't affect the amount of compression, it just adjusts your final output volume.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:36 pm

macrae11 wrote:To be a little more specific.

In the 1176 (and other similar compressors) there is a fixed threshold. The input dictates how much of your signal gets pushed about the threshold.

The output knob doesn't affect the amount of compression, it just adjusts your final output volume.

I've highlighted the points that eluded me. Alain actually explained, the second point there, btu it hadn't really sunken in yet.

So basically, the threshold never changes, the only thing that changes is how much signal gets pushed above it? This is what I didn't get at first. I figured that there was some correlation between the input and the output. But I guess in fact, the output is seperate from everything else.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:41 pm

Jef wrote:Input:
The Input control determines when the compressor receives a signal “loud” enough to trigger gain reduction as well as total output level. Higher settings will increase the relative amount of compression.

In order to set the limiter to provide a specific amount of compression, first adjust the input and Output controls to their full counterclockwise (CCW) position. Set the Attack and Release controls to “5”. Set the Meter switch to GR (Gain Reduction). Rotate the Input Level control CW until the meter bounces down to –3 to –5 dB. Now set the Meter Switch to +4 (output level), turn the Output control CW until the desired output level is achieved. Switch back to GR and fine tune Input and Output controls to achieve optimum compression and output level.

Output:
The Output control determines the final output level. Once the desired amount of limiting is adjusted by setting the Input Control, the Output Control can be used to set the required output level. Setting the meter switch to +4 will allow monitoring of the output level.

http://www.uaudio.com/_works/pdf/manual ... manual.pdf

Thanks Jef, this will give me a good starting point for when I want to use it. I should've just went on UAs website, I never thought to.

My problem is I've got a really big toolbox with relatively little experience. I feel like I just got my driver's permit and my parents bought me a McLauren F1.... :oops:

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:43 pm

macrae11 wrote:In the 1176 (and other similar compressors) there is a fixed threshold...
That being the only unusual thing about it's controls, or at least by newer standards.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:49 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
macrae11 wrote:In the 1176 (and other similar compressors) there is a fixed threshold...
That being the only unusual thing about it's controls, or at least by newer standards.

I think that's where I may have been getting confused. In DAWs, especially because you can see graphically what is going on, you get to easily see what a traditional compressed looks like up and running. I guess I was trying in my mind to fit the 1176 into that mold. So was trying to "invent" a way that made sense to me to change the threshold.

Thanks for clearing things up guys!

So now... what about nuke mode? Any practical uses for this anomoly? Does anyone know what is technically occuring in that instance?

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Jef » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:01 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:...My problem is I've got a really big toolbox with relatively little experience.... :oops:

Bwahahahaha...
...that's just funny on so many levels....
"I did what any good producer would do. I rolled a fatty." - Mixerman -
Jef
Gold Member

Postby Alain Benoit » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:37 pm

Drumwaiter wrote: I should've just went on UAs website, I never thought to.

Or here.

Drumwaiter wrote:My problem is I've got a really big toolbox with relatively little experience. I feel like I just got my driver's permit and my parents bought me a McLauren F1.... :oops:

I just have a really big tool.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby macrae11 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:14 am

Here's a brief description I found of All-Button in Mode.

A somewhat obscure term first put into use on the Universal Audio (originally the UREI) 1176 compressor. This is sometimes called the "four button trick" or, notoriously, "British Mode." The 1176 has selectable ratios operated by four pushbuttons. The preset ratios are 4:1, 8:1, 12:1 and 20:1. An unknown engineer decided to try pushing all four buttons at once and the result was a unique-sound that soon became widely copied in rock music mixes and has been imitated by other compressor manufacturers. Universal Audio assures us that this process doesn't hurt the unit. The way the 1176 sounds, and specifically, the way All-Button mode sounds, is partially due to its being a program dependent compressor, meaning the attack, release and ratio are dependent upon the type of signal passing through the circuitry. The 1176 will faithfully compress or limit at the selected ratio for transients, but the ratio will always increase a bit after the transient. The degree of increase is also material dependent. This is true for any of the 1176's ratio settings, and is part of the 1176's sound. But in All-Button Mode, a few more things are happening. The ratio goes to somewhere between 12:1 and 20:1, and the bias points change all over the circuit. As a result, the attack and release times change. This change in attack and release times creates a compression curve that results in an "overdriven" tone. The attacks and releases in All-Button become more like a severe plateau than a gentle slope! Furthermore, in All-Button mode there is a lag time on the attack of initial transients, creating a punchy attack (famously heard on hard rock drum kits in the early 1970s). This is followed by a "sucking" phenomenon that might be described as a "reverse look-ahead". Finally, the perception of distortion is increased with lower frequencies in All-Button Mode. Because of this, you can get a very "explosive" sound from overheads or a room mics with the 1176, especially with the frequencies and transients created by the kick drum.

I don't actually know technically what's going on in there. I just know it's awesome. My advice: don't think about it. Just try it out on something, and if you like it, use it. Close your eyes and turn knobs until it sounds good. Completely ignore the GR meter. Use gaffer tape if necessary.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Return to Sounds Good...