New consoles for D&D

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

New consoles for D&D

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:29 pm

Time to resuscitate the old forums with a little local sound news...

D&D Sound took delivery of their largest live console this summer with the addition of a "48 Channel" Soundcraft MH2.

This is a huge upgrade, and one that was way overdue in terms of replacing the DDA CS8 which has been his main rig FOH desk for some years.

I have always had great luck with Soundcraft desks, and I was glad to see Lawrence go with something that will be acceptable to clients at large in this market.

So far my only complaints with this desk is the VCA and Mute Master sections being a little whacked with respect to programming, and operation. Otherwise, a much more robust sounding console compared to what he has had for rental in the past.

In other news, LD picked up a couple of brand new APB Dynasonics consoles for use in smaller situations, demanding big sound quality. The "ProRack" House and Monitor boards means for bigger gigs, with low channel counts, we shouldn't have to see cheap, lesser sounding desks anymore at gigs.

In case you haven't heard about the story behind the designers at APB, they have a long history of great sounding consoles, and with these particular products are serving a niche that wants top quality build, in small packages.

All in all, good news to D&D clients and friends.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:54 pm

This was the board that you were using for the Salty Jam main tent, right?
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:36 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:This was the board that you were using for the Salty Jam main tent, right?
Correct... That is, in fact, where the pic is from.

At the ANE shows this year, Gordie Miller, who basically knows what he likes, commented on how nice the quality of the sound was in comparison to other years. I explained the only difference in the rig was the console, and with the fact that most of the acts were the same as other years, you can draw the obvious conclusion.

Maybe I've been using digital too much these days, but this desk sounds really punchy and immediate to me. So far me likey... I'll be using the MH2 for a full production musical in the near future, which will be a whole other test of it's working. Of course, I'll let you know how things make out.
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby macrae11 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:37 am

Nice board.

I was disappointed that Dean didn't call me for Salty Jam this year. It's always a good excuse to go spend a weekend in the city.
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Return to Sounds Good...