Pop Goes The City... Calling Keith Macfarlane!

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Pop Goes The City... Calling Keith Macfarlane!

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:45 pm

Hopefully Keith is still popping in from time to time...

I saw you mixed the '80s festival at the Blue Olive. From the pics, it looked like the rig was as much of a tribute to the '80s as the bands were.

Any stories, or reports? I haven't mixed on a Savard rig in quite a few years.

I was talking to a friend who was at two of the shows and he reported that it was a "little loud" for his taste... I said "Keith mix... a little loud.... Impossible..." ;-)

And yeah... before you say anything... Sandy Horne is still hot...

How did the event turn out after all was said and done?
"Once again, it is NEVER the gear that makes a good record.
It just fills Forum pages..." --compasspnt

middleaudio.com
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby RoadDog » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:12 am

Hey MB, I pop in here several times each day to check on activity, which, is down considerably as of late.

Pop Goes The City... This was my first opportunity to work with Hub City Sound, aka the Savard Bros., and I was quite surprised, both with the vintage of equipment, and the condition of said gear. Everything at my disposal worked and worked well.

I did FOH for Big Easy and Haywire on evening number one, soundchecks being done in my absence, as I had obligations with PSAV. The event, held in a 700 capacity tent, lent itself to large tent audio issues, in particular the non uniform distribution of full range response from the adequately, Crest 8001, powered JBL loaded mains kit. Big Easy's set was a breeze, however, the guitar level, despite being of immaculate tone, from Haywire camp was set on stun off the deck, and the resulting mix and spl in the venue was dictated solely by that. I was attempting to duplicate the energy of their sets from days gone by, and hell, I knew all the songs, so the cues were a blast, and perhaps at times, admittedly, I was a tad over zealous. I did receive glowing compliments from both the organizers and several fans, including previous touring staff.

On evening number two, after another day with PSAV, I did the FOH for OPA, the organizer's own band, and The Box. Again, soundchecks done in my absence. The Box had a pair of tracks which ran through each and every number of their set. Percussion, pads, etc. and all the vocals both backing and lead [ Jean Marc's mic was hot and his live vocal was just fine ]. The content of these tracks and the live drum brass dictated the overall spl of their set. In my opinion the best sounding set of the festival.

I was in for the whole day on Saturday, day and evening number three. Soundchecks were entertaining for both co headliners, The Spoons and Blue Peter. The former was a pleasure right out of the mini van, while the latter presented some challenges. First off the number of inputs from keyboard island, and their respective content, not to mention that only 2 of the 4 traveled with the band, so even the keyboardist was unsure what was mapped to the rentals, so I just compressed all of it. Second, the guitar deck level was again on stun! After a brief yet compassionate conversation that got sorted and we moved on to... lunch!

First up was The Groove [very green], followed by Trez Hombrez [decent set, too bad about the attendance]. Next up, Gary Morris & Crossroads [this group surprised me with both song choice and presentation, full marks for both, easily the most polished of all the openers] Lastly, Radio Factory [despite the accelerated tempo of each and every number in their set, they did quite well with the slowly expanding audience]. Blue Peter was a treat to mix, as I recognized more songs than I expected. And the Spoons, what can I say, this is a band that I have always wanted to work with, and they did not disappoint me.

Danny [Savard] and his monitor dude Andrew were quite easy to get along with and no issues there. A big shout out to Dean Roberts for keeping everybody's collective poop in a group.

When all is said and done, The organizers will tweak the overall format, and they are planning next year's event already. Personally, I'd appreciate an upgraded front of house, cuz I'm spoiled that way, but I must say it was nostalgic all around.

Any specific questions can be posted here, and I'll drop around to have a go at them.

Cheers
A spider wanders aimlessly within the warmth of a shadow....
RoadDog
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:46 pm

Sounds like a real hoot! Next year I want to go. I'll be your assistant! ;-)
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby RoadDog » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:02 pm

Drumwaiter wrote:Sounds like a real hoot! Next year I want to go. I'll be your assistant! ;-)
ok, but only if you wear that hot tube top and the roller skates
A spider wanders aimlessly within the warmth of a shadow....
RoadDog
Bronze Member

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:08 pm

RoadDog wrote:
Drumwaiter wrote:Sounds like a real hoot! Next year I want to go. I'll be your assistant! ;-)
ok, but only if you wear that hot tube top and the roller skates

You sir, have a deal.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Return to Sounds Good...