quad mic pres

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Postby macrae11 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:13 am

Just another friendly piece of advice, because I was in a similar situation to you this time last year. I was planning on picking up a Red 1 before Al and I took that trip to Montreal. I've used the Red 1 and the Red 3 and they're both great units, however they are quite pricey compared to what you get. Very expensive casing and design, which don't improve the sound at all. If you're really feeling the 4 channel thing, There are a few 4 channel pres that are significantly less expensive, and IMHO better sounding.

The first two that come to mind, are the Daking Mic Pre IV and the API 3124. The Daking is about $1000 cheaper than the Red 1 and the API is around $400-$500 cheaper. The Daking has detented pots, which you may or may not like. Personally I do, as it makes it much easier to recall, and set up stereo setups.

Another option, if you want to spread your purchase out over is the 500 series format. You could spend around a grand now, and get one channel, and then whenever you have a few hundred bucks, adding another channel. You can also add in compressors and EQ's, so you can create your own custom channel strips. There's to many great units to even mention in that form factor.

Now if you're planning on going with the ISA 428, it's a different story. It's about half the price of the Red1, although I've never used one so I can't speak to it's quality.

Not trying to tell you what to do, just hoping to offer some friendly advice from someone who's been there, and came out the other side very happy.

Cheers
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:17 am

macrae11 wrote:Another option, if you want to spread your purchase out over is the 500 series format. You could spend around a grand now, and get one channel, and then whenever you have a few hundred bucks, adding another channel. You can also add in compressors and EQ's, so you can create your own custom channel strips. There's to many great units to even mention in that form factor.

This fall In buying the central station. Next purchase though is a lunchbox, then I'm gonna stuff it to the gills with all sorts of 500 series goodies. So I hear you loud and clear man...
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

Mathieu Benoit - Fluid Productions
www.fluidaudiogroup.com
www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:07 pm

The better bang for the buck for the 4 channel familly has to be the Daking Mic Pre IV .

As far as Focusrite, I aint Focusrite no more.
Exception with the RED range as it has stayed pretty much the same since its inception. The one caveat being costly window dressing.
Stay away from that Neo-ISA crap. It hasnt been real ISA since the 80's.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

"No one has time to do it right, but we all seem to have time to do it twice."
Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby jammy jamz » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:44 pm

AWESOME TIPS.....

i just wanna say......

i love you guys. :-D

the daking is now on the radar.......i was worried about the quality of the isa range....

the only thing i dont like about the lunchbox andrew, for right now anyways....is, i have two 3U bags called gigskinz, super convienient, and safe (sorta) for the gear......so, i really want to be able to pack up nice nice and fast fast .......

but.....mabey if i could make an easy/safe to transport, device for the lunchbox...
jammy jamz
Bronze Member

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:26 pm

www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby macrae11 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:35 pm

Indeed Alain has shown you the way. Rackmountable 500 format. The only issue, is if remember correctly I think that rack might be 4 space, so still might not fit your cases.

Can you confirm or deny Al?
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:40 pm

Alain Benoit wrote:http://www.mercenaryaudio.com/api50vemora.html

Yeah, Mercenary will even give you cool cover plates for all of the spaces that are empty. Then they will buy back the cover plates from you for $50 for every 500series module you buy from them.
"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Mathieu Benoit » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:41 pm

macrae11 wrote:Indeed Alain has shown you the way. Rackmountable 500 format. The only issue, is if remember correctly I think that rack might be 4 space, so still might not fit your cases.

Can you confirm or deny Al?

Nah... It's 3U.

www.fluidaudiogroup.com
Mathieu Benoit
Drumwaiter

Postby Alain Benoit » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:43 pm

3 spaces indeed.
www.fluidaudiogroup.com

Alain Benoit
Self Biased Resistor

Postby macrae11 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:56 pm

Well alrighty then!
macrae11
Andrew MacRae

Postby jammy jamz » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:04 pm

methinks i need to be doin more saving. :-?

i hate patience, patience is for people who have ....patience

well, not hate.

you know.
jammy jamz
Bronze Member

Previous

Return to Sounds Good...