Bunk's Recording Tips Thread

Tech talk about audio recording and live stage production.
---Hosted by Andrew MacRae & Malcolm Boyce

Postby thebunk » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:31 pm

fish wrote:
thebunk wrote:Hey all. Cool site. Hope to pick up some home recording tips.

Hey Bunk,

How's things?

Good, and your self?!

I need to know what are the bare minimums for demo recording via PC (what type of mic, a good cheap midi keyboard, other essentials?) Thanks
thebunk

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:24 pm

Because I'm a clever little monkey, and I'm trying to learn how to tweak things in the forums, I moved Bunk's question from another forum into this one.

Now, the bare minimums would be dictated by what you would mean by "demo". Since you used the singular "mic", I'm going to assume you will be tracking mostly yourself, one instrument at a time kind of demo. Let's call it Mike G. style. Tracking full bands is another whole deal altogether.

Here's a simple list that others can add to or correct:

- Pentium or AMD, Fastest you can afford. Minimum 1Gig RAM.
- One of several billion interfaces available from such wonderful manufacturers as m-audio, edirol, MOTU, etc. This is cost driven as well. You can get something as simple as 1 mic pre and MIDI, and UP! M-Audio is a real winner in the cost/performance category and have some of the hippest MIDI interfaces.
- MIDI keyboard can be a lot more than just a keyboard. They now double as control surfaces. You need only a controller in these days of soft synths. M-Audio again is a good place to start.
- Microphone.... Any good multi-purpose large diaphram condenser. Choice is only a matter of budget and opinion. There have never been more options, more affordable. Try some out and pick one you like if you can. Don't forget a good stand, expect to pay close to 100$ for one. K&M and Atlas are the standards, and they'll last.
- Software.... This is really a matter of opinion. My DAW of choice is Sonar, another person may love Cubase, another Pro Tools, and on. Check into the details, and make sure the one you are looking at will do what you need. I'm not as sure about the others, but Sonar has several versions to choose from depending on your needs. If you can spend some time on some of the platforms available, you will probably find one you like the most.

Anything else? Now... some more questions and answers... I just thought I'd get it started.
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:38 pm

So Bunk,

What are you recording with now? Software...? Hardware...?
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby thebunk » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:41 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:So Bunk,

What are you recording with now? Software...? Hardware...?

Right now I have nothing LOL.

Well, I have a spare PC that I will use as a dedicated recording PC. I am probably going to use Cakewalk as my main recording software as I have some experiece with it. Now I am looking for things to buy. I know I need the following for sure:

Mic
Good, cheap soundcard
Mic Stand (nothing fancy)
Preamp (I guess I need this from reading many other articles and also based on past experiences in trying to mic a distorted guitar amp via mic - PC does not equal good results.

Anything else?
thebunk

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:11 pm

thebunk wrote:I am probably going to use Cakewalk as my main recording software as I have some experiece with it. Now I am looking for things to buy. I know I need the following for sure:

Mic
Good, cheap soundcard
Mic Stand (nothing fancy)
Preamp (I guess I need this from reading many other articles and also based on past experiences in trying to mic a distorted guitar amp via mic - PC does not equal good results.

Anything else?
OK. In keeping with a budget oriented list:

Mic: AT 2020 = $150
Stand: K&M full size with boom = $100
"Sound Card": MAudio USB MobilePre = $160
Pre: Not really necessary with above...

Anything else?..... Hmmmmm.... Talent???

Mic Cable: Digiflex 25' = $25
Instrument Cable: Digiflex 15' = $20

Another thing you never mentioned is what you're monitoring what you're doing on... Headphones? Speakers?

I would suggest a pair of powered monitors, which there are tons of options, running from about $250/pair and UP... and I do mean UP! You can try some out at Musicstop... See what you like.

All the prices I gave are just approx. As I've said before, don't cheap out on things like cables, and your mic stand. Good ones will last a long time, and you will never outgrow a good mic stand!

Gear fever is a nasty thing... No known cure! Happy shopping... And remember, it's just money!
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby oddioguy » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:15 pm

I think this forum may be Gear Slut Central.... 8-)
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Postby Malcolm Boyce » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:39 pm

oddioguy wrote:I think this forum may be Gear Slut Central.... 8-)
Certainly the local chapter...
Malcolm Boyce
Your Humble Host

Postby thebunk » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:32 pm

Thanks for the replies folks.

Btw, I am really liking this site. Good work to everyone involved!
thebunk

Postby oddioguy » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:44 pm

Malcolm Boyce wrote:
oddioguy wrote:I think this forum may be Gear Slut Central.... 8-)
Certainly the local chapter...

"Nos es tantum hic pro apparatus"
"Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers"
oddioguy
Thom Chandler

Return to Sounds Good...